Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> on 2006/04/25 23:14:08 UTC

including celtix in refactor work and checkstyle

Just a friendly reminder to those working on the core or model to
please include celtix in their refactorings. I accidentally forgot to
check in my refactors (sandbox is separate) and run the checkstyle
tests from celtix/binding.celtix resulting in Dan having a broken
demo :-( Also, someone else modifying the loader forgot  to include
the project in their refactors (I fixed it)...

Dan also proposed we adopt checkstyle as part of the build process. I
would like to due this using lazy consensus with the caveat that the
cut-over be done after the Java One release to avoid disruption and
give people a chance to adjust code gradually. The checkstyle
configuration is fairly rigorous and we will need to divide up the
work to do so by project.

Jim

Re: including celtix in refactor work and checkstyle

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/06, Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> wrote:

<snip/>

Dan also proposed we adopt checkstyle as part of the build process. I
> would like to due this using lazy consensus with the caveat that the
> cut-over be done after the Java One release to avoid disruption and
> give people a chance to adjust code gradually. The checkstyle
> configuration is fairly rigorous and we will need to divide up the
> work to do so by project.

-1 as its not really clear to me what you're proposing and I think some
people may have missed this vote as its hidden away at the bottom of an
email about the celtix binding.
Have you a link to Dan's proposal or a summary of what checkstyle is going
to be enforcing.

   ...ant

Re: Moving the Celtix binding to the bindings/ directory, was: including celtix in refactor work and checkstyle

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Jeremy,

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 18:51, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> On 4/26/06, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > oops! i meant EPL
> >
> > On 4/26/06, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Jean-Sebastien,
> > >
> > > Just checked with Cliff. CDDL jars are ok both for inclusion in our
> > > SVN and as part of a distribution. So +1 from me.
>
> Although Celtix itself is EPL I think that some of the things that it
> depends on may be under more restrictive licenses (CDDL, maybe one of
> Sun's many binary licenses). I think that will prevent us from
> including a complete (with dependencies) version with a distro
> although we should be able to distribute the extension with directions
> on which 3rd party libraries a user would need to obtain separately.

I just had some email exchanges with Cliff and it looks like we're
completely OK.    Cliff has a page he is preparing for information about
valid licenses for apache stuff:

http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

The CDDL license is completely ok for re-distribution.

Cliff and I then went through everything in Celtix, and other than Rhino
which is optional, all licenses are OK with apache stuff.

Thanks!

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Moving the Celtix binding to the bindings/ directory, was: including celtix in refactor work and checkstyle

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:

> The Sun binary license allows complete re-distribution as part of a full
> product distribution.   It just doesn't allow you to distribute the jars
> individually.   Thus, the tuscany distribution should be fine.   We just
> cannot check them into the apache svn repository.

IANAL but AIUI the redistribution license has terms on it that Apache
can't easily satisfy (e.g. indemnification) so I would be leery of
including them in a distro.

--
Jeremy

Re: Moving the Celtix binding to the bindings/ directory, was: including celtix in refactor work and checkstyle

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
oops! i meant EPL

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Sebastien,

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
+1 Dan submitted a patch with testcases so I think it should go into
the build process with that patch applied. Thanks Dan!

Jim

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.