Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Fleischle, Samuel" <s....@key-software.com> on 2005/03/22 08:33:13 UTC

[HTML-Tags] Creating my own, inherited Tag-class

Hi all,

I want to add some special functions to the HTML- and HTML-EL-Tags.
For this reason, I created a subclass from a few tags e.g. ELSelectTag.java.

In this classes I add some additional code to the doStartTag() method. Now I
want to call some methods from the superclasses e.g. evaluateExpressions()
or calculateMatchValues() or anything else, but this methods are private.

Is there any possibility, to call these classes from my subclass?
Or any way, to change these methods in the struts-tags from private to
protected?

Thanks for your help,
Sam

Re: [HTML-Tags] Creating my own, inherited Tag-class

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:33:13 +0100, Fleischle, Samuel
<s....@key-software.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to add some special functions to the HTML- and HTML-EL-Tags.
> For this reason, I created a subclass from a few tags e.g. ELSelectTag.java.
>
> In this classes I add some additional code to the doStartTag() method. Now I
> want to call some methods from the superclasses e.g. evaluateExpressions()
> or calculateMatchValues() or anything else, but this methods are private.
>
> Is there any possibility, to call these classes from my subclass?
> Or any way, to change these methods in the struts-tags from private to
> protected?

The best way to get them changed to protected is to submit an
enhancement request to the bug database
(http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/) and attach a patch in the form of
a diff (i.e. svn diff) so that the changes can be easily applied by a
committer.

--
Martin Cooper