Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Justin Moore <mo...@jfinity.me> on 2019/10/18 03:58:20 UTC

Optimistic Serializable SQL Transactions

Hi,

Very new to Ignite and just trying to assess its capabilities.

tl;dr: are optimistic serializable sql transactions on the roadmap?

It seems that currently only pessimistic repeatable_read sql transactions
are supported (in beta as of the current version -- 2.7).  I'm trying to
confirm that, in Ignite, if I started two concurrent transactions (from the
same snapshot) where one intends to execute statements #1
(compare-and-set), #2 (read-only), and #3 (whatever else), while the other
intends to execute the exact same update statements #1, #2, and #3, but
also a subsequent #4, understanding that (all but) one of those
transactions would probably fail to commit, I'm looking to clarify whether
or not the failing one would throw/abort even before reaching statement #2
(which might be a read returning values)?

If I'm reading the docs correctly it seems that in
pessimistic repeatable_read mode the transaction would fail one of the
transactions at statement #1 (due to write conflict), but if it could have
been optimistic serializable, the transaction would simply rollback at the
point a commit was attempted.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly, are optimistic serializable sql transactions on the roadmap?

Thanks

Re: Optimistic Serializable SQL Transactions

Posted by Ivan Pavlukhin <vo...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Good to know that. Some comments:

> Their SQL is built on top of the key-value interface so they get parallel optimistic transactions "for free"
AFAIK Cockroach transactions does not use RocksDB transactional
capabilities at all. Moreover do not know if your case is possible
with Cockroach, if transaction A updated a value for key 1 then
transaction B would block on reading the value for the same key (I
believe it is due SERIALIZABLE isolation). Also there is a special
case -- deadlock. In case of deadlock (e.g. tx A locked key 1, tx B
locked key 2, A wants to update key 2, B wants to update key 1) one of
transactions will be aborted shortly.

And a bit of purism. I cannot call Cockroach transactions "optimistic"
because they employ locking and waiting during updates, but really
optimistic transactions does not.

--
Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin

Re: Optimistic Serializable SQL Transactions

Posted by Justin Moore <mo...@jfinity.me>.
If I've read this right --
https://www.cockroachlabs.com/blog/how-cockroachdb-distributes-atomic-transactions/
--
Cockroach achieves it by using a convention of writing "intents" to
provisionally "change" any given key with a timestamp suffix from the
hybrid logical clock which orders transactions.  When reading a given key,
they'll actually do a range scan of sorts over all the key's write intents
to see which is the latest that successfully committed -- subsequently
they'll promote write intents to genuine write "effects" and remove prior
records.  Their SQL is built on top of the key-value interface so they get
parallel optimistic transactions "for free" -- I think YugaByte's
"provisional writes" work much the same way (
https://docs.yugabyte.com/latest/architecture/transactions/distributed-txns/
).

Posted by Ivan Pavlukhin <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,