Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Laura Mohiuddin <la...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/14 17:32:53 UTC

SVN as DMS

Dear Sir/Madam,

My company IBCS-PRIMAX Software (BD) Ltd. (http://www.ibcs-primax.com) is
looking to install a Document Management System for the organization. I
suggested SVN, but the DMS should also come with a dashboard and search
facilities. Is there any way that I can setup subversion to provide me with
a dashboard and search facilities?

Thank you for your kind cooperation

*Laura Mohiuddin***
Manager, Marketing
IBCS-PRIMAX Software (Bangladesh) Limited
House # 51, Road # 10A, Dhanmondi R/A
Dhaka – 1209, Bangladesh
Web: http://www.ibcs-primax.com

Re: SVN as DMS

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 16:31, Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> wrote:
> Guten Tag Laura Mohiuddin,
> am Mittwoch, 14. März 2012 um 17:32 schrieben Sie:
>
>> My company IBCS-PRIMAX Software (BD) Ltd. (http://www.ibcs-primax.com) is
>> looking to install a Document Management System for the organization. I
>> suggested SVN[...]
>
> Sounds like a bad idea to me. While Subversion ma ybe capable of
> versioning all your content and even deliver authorization and access
> facilities, DMS's provide much more: Configurable processes and
> workflows, document format conversion for example to PDF, tagging of
> documents, preview for documents, clients/integration for different
> purposes like Sharepoint, Office et.c and some even collaboration on
> authoring documents. You may don't need all this now, but for future
> development in you company in my opinion it would be better to start
> with a real DMS right now. Subversion may be better suited for some
> kind of backend storage. There are lot of free DMS out there.

I have to agree. I currently use Subversion to manage a bunch of MS
Office files - project management documentation, technical docs, etc.
It works, but it's far from optimal and really only works well for the
more technical people in the audience. This means that the business
folks still get documents emailed to them when they need them, instead
of going to any kind of portal to find & collaborate on documents on
their own.

Use a system that's built for the job. This is not an area where
Subversion shines, but it's also not designed to be a DMS in the first
place.

Re: SVN as DMS

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Laura Mohiuddin,
am Mittwoch, 14. März 2012 um 17:32 schrieben Sie:

> My company IBCS-PRIMAX Software (BD) Ltd. (http://www.ibcs-primax.com) is
> looking to install a Document Management System for the organization. I
> suggested SVN[...]

Sounds like a bad idea to me. While Subversion ma ybe capable of
versioning all your content and even deliver authorization and access
facilities, DMS's provide much more: Configurable processes and
workflows, document format conversion for example to PDF, tagging of
documents, preview for documents, clients/integration for different
purposes like Sharepoint, Office et.c and some even collaboration on
authoring documents. You may don't need all this now, but for future
development in you company in my opinion it would be better to start
with a real DMS right now. Subversion may be better suited for some
kind of backend storage. There are lot of free DMS out there.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon.............030-2 1001-310
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

AG Hanover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: SVN as DMS

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Laura Mohiuddin <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> My company IBCS-PRIMAX Software (BD) Ltd. (http://www.ibcs-primax.com) is
> looking to install a Document Management System for the organization. I
> suggested SVN, but the DMS should also come with a dashboard and search
> facilities. Is there any way that I can setup subversion to provide me with
> a dashboard and search facilities?
>
> Thank you for your kind cooperation

Something like Fisheye might work, depending on the nature of your documents:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/fisheye/overview

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: SVN as DMS

Posted by Stümpfig, Thomas <th...@siemens.com>.
Hi all,
we have svn through  tortoisesvn successfully running 4 Years for 110 Users / >200000 documents as DMS.

SVN is successful because
a) it provides History of Projects
b) it provides very good Offline Capabilities!
c) it is simple

one important characteristic about our guys is, that they work in different locations throughout Germany and are 50% out of office. So simple collaboration while being able to efficiently work offline is key for us.
An other key to the success was the fact that we were able to full text search in the Repository. SOLR/Lucene were at hands.

regards
Thomas

Re: SVN as DMS

Posted by Geoffrey Myers <li...@serioustechnology.com>.