Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de> on 2019/04/24 14:22:44 UTC

[users@httpd] ssl stapling error - sectigo

Hello List,

Apache is 2.4.39, System is Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04

since yesterday evening we have massive mod_ssl problems with ssl stapling:

Apr 24 11:20:59 myhostname apache2[16094]: [ssl:error] [pid 16094]
AH01941: stapling_renew_response: responder error

We had complaints about slow webpages, this forced us to deactivate
stapling on all our servers.
Affected are certificates of sectigo (previously comodo) with ocsp-url
http://ocsp.sectigo.com
I cant confirm for other providers, we use comodo/sectigo the most.

But it seems there is no basic problem on our system/network because i
can manually confirm ocsp status with openssl on affected machines:

# openssl ocsp -issuer bundle -cert crt -url http://ocsp.sectigo.com
WARNING: no nonce in response
Response verify OK
crt: good
         This Update: Apr 22 12:46:48 2019 GMT
         Next Update: Apr 26 12:46:48 2019 GMT

I try to figure out on which side problem is. We use basic sslstapling
directives in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ssl.conf
this is unchanged for months

SSLUseStapling On
SSLStaplingCache shmcb:${APACHE_RUN_DIR}/ssl_stapling(2560000)
SSLStaplingResponderTimeout 5
SSLStaplingReturnResponderErrors off

Is there somebody who can confirm this behaviour and explain what happens?

Thansk,
Hajo

Re: [users@httpd] ssl stapling error - sectigo

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
There might come up an opportunity in the near future to give
Apache an alternate OCSP stapling implementation. Alternate,
as it is needed for the 2.4.x line. For backward compatibility
reasons, switching strategies must be an opt-in by the user.

I will announce here and on the dev list if/when that should happen
and will be happy to receive feedback on  it.

Cheers, Stefan

Posted by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.

> Am 24.04.2019 um 16:22 schrieb Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de>:
>
> Hello List,
>
> Apache is 2.4.39, System is Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04
>
> since yesterday evening we have massive mod_ssl problems with ssl stapling:
>
> Apr 24 11:20:59 myhostname apache2[16094]: [ssl:error] [pid 16094]
> AH01941: stapling_renew_response: responder error
>
> We had complaints about slow webpages, this forced us to deactivate
> stapling on all our servers.

Sorry to hear that.