Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martin Ravell <ma...@rave-tech.com.au> on 2007/05/12 15:42:15 UTC

Fresh install problem

Can anyone help me resolve this problem?

It is a freshly unzipped copy of 2.0.6 with an empty repository. Any idea
why it cannot find the archetype plugin?

Is there a way of completely removing and re-installing maven?

C:\Project>mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.appfuse
-DarchetypeArtifactId=appfuse-basic-struts
-DremoteRepositories=http://static.appfuse.org/repository
-DarchetypeVersion=2.0-m4 -DgroupId=com.rave.chester -DartifactId=chester

[INFO] Scanning for projects...

[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.

[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central

[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be
retrieved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file

[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted

[INFO]

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR

[INFO]

[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found

[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO] Total time: 3 seconds

[INFO] Finished at: Sat May 12 23:38:26 EST 2007

[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M

[INFO]

Re: Fresh install problem

Posted by "David J. Graff" <dj...@alltel.net>.
Ok ran another check on this.

Go into the firewall settings and just set java.exe to "allow" ... seems
to clear the problem up immediately ... unfortunately I do not know what
this opens up ... I will have to check with Symantec/Norton on this.

--D

David J. Graff wrote:
> This is the exact same problem I was having
>
> If you have Norton Internet Security installed, disable the firewall for
> 15 minutes ... attempt your operation again.
>
> For some reason firewall is blocking any attempt to make this connection
> silently
>

> Jo Vandermeeren wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Maven has no install procedure..
>> It is just the exploded archive.
>>
>> When you run maven for the first time, it create a ".m2" directory in
>> your
>> user home dir.
>> This directory contains a local repository (as soon as you have
>> downloaded
>> dependencies).
>> You can create a settings.xml file in that directory and play with
>> maven's
>> settings.
>>
>> Deleting this directory will create a fresh "install" of maven..
>>
>> To answer to your question: if you are using a proxy, make sure that
>> it is
>> defined in the settings.xml file.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jo
>>
>> On 5/12/07, Martin Ravell <ma...@rave-tech.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone help me resolve this problem?
>>>

>>> It is a freshly unzipped copy of 2.0.6 with an empty repository. Any
>>> idea
>>> why it cannot find the archetype plugin?
>>>

>>> Is there a way of completely removing and re-installing maven?
>>>

>>> C:\Project>mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.appfuse
>>> -DarchetypeArtifactId=appfuse-basic-struts
>>> -DremoteRepositories=http://static.appfuse.org/repository
>>> -DarchetypeVersion=2.0-m4 -DgroupId=com.rave.chester
>>> -DartifactId=chester
>>>
>>> [INFO] Scanning for projects...
>>>
>>> [INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
>>>
>>> [INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
>>>
>>> [WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could
>>> not be
>>> retrieved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring
>>> file
>>>
>>> [INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
>>>
>>> [INFO]
>>>
>>> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>>>
>>> [INFO]
>>>
>>> [INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does
>>> not
>>> exist or no valid version could be found
>>>
>>> [INFO]
>>>
>>> [INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e switch
>>>
>>> [INFO]
>>>
>>> [INFO] Total time: 3 seconds
>>>
>>> [INFO] Finished at: Sat May 12 23:38:26 EST 2007
>>>
>>> [INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
>>>
>>> [INFO]

David J. Graff
djgraff AT alltel DOT net
GPG Fingerprint: E407 6A73 0725 B2E0 995D AC21 705E 4D51 67C4 7499

Re: Fresh install problem

Posted by "David J. Graff" <dj...@alltel.net>.

Re: Fresh install problem

Posted by Jo Vandermeeren <jo...@gmail.com>.