Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com> on 2012/02/28 01:22:58 UTC

Managing Git identities?

Quick question:

Do you all have any strategies or techniques for committing under
various identities? I would like CouchDB commits to be jhs@apache.org,
but work projects, under different email addresses.

This one is hard to google. It's tons of walkthroughs for identifying
to a Git server (SSH key management, etc.). I'm just talking about the
committer ID.

All I've thought to do is make fresh clones and run git config
user.email jhs@apache.org. Then I guess I'll use that for working on
couch, any commits that might one day go upstream. And I'll pull them
in to other branches and forks?

Is that what y'all are doing?

--
Iris Couch

Re: Managing Git identities?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> for my part, I don't set user.email in my global .gitconfig because
> I've often committed with the wrong address. Leaving it undefined then
> gives you a warning when you commit. I then set the right local value
> and --amend --reset-author. Pretty sure our apache repo insists on
> apache.org addresses too.
>
> B.

It used to but does no longer due to advanced technical reasons. IOW,
I got yelled at to turn it off.

Re: Managing Git identities?

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com>.
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> for my part, I don't set user.email in my global .gitconfig because
> I've often committed with the wrong address. Leaving it undefined then
> gives you a warning when you commit. I then set the right local value
> and --amend --reset-author. Pretty sure our apache repo insists on
> apache.org addresses too.

<keanu>
    Whoa.
</keanu>

Adopted. Thanks.

--
Iris Couch

Re: Managing Git identities?

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 27, 2012 9:02 PM, "Robert Newson" <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> for my part, I don't set user.email in my global .gitconfig because
> I've often committed with the wrong address. Leaving it undefined then
> gives you a warning when you commit. I then set the right local value
> and --amend --reset-author. Pretty sure our apache repo insists on
> apache.org addresses too.

I like that.
/me adopts

Re: Managing Git identities?