Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Paul Hammant <ha...@apache.org> on 2002/04/03 11:45:15 UTC

UserRepository [ was the nntp effort on in james server !!!! ]

Harmeet, folks,

>- How stable is the POP-SMTP backend ? There have been a few emails about
>this. When I looked at the Avalon File Repository, I was a bit nervous. I
>think it is based on serialization, and that approach has some problems,

The Avalon repository is file based and uses serialization.  There are
problems with that strategy.

Choices:

Avalon's FtpServer (Rana CC'd in for this) has a user repsository and
the overlap between FTP, POP3 & NNTP user requirements are massive.  You
should all bang heads and make an uberUserRepository that will be useful
for all of those types of needs, and possibly a few forthcoming
(telnet/SSH into a Phoenix VM).

At a layer lower (the actual mechanics of storage), there is an up and
coming project in commons called simple store.  (Gerhard and Juozas CC'd
in for this) It is beanlike and has multiple implementations.  It has
been used before in Phoenix VM with Enterprise Object Broker (example3)
, but not as a block or wrapped in a block...

Lastly, maybe also see if Brian Burton's ex commercial NNTP server
http://www.burton-computer.com/clnews.html can provide inspiration.
 Maybe even have another attempt at persuading him to port or donate (to
Avalon and James respectively).

Regards,

- Paul H