Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Felipe Marin Cypriano <fm...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/08 15:06:07 UTC

Subversion as a File Server backup. 35Gb of data

Hello,

I'm testing subversion to be the backup system of my file server. What it
means? I've almost 35Gb stored in file server, every day users change some
files and I want to backup this changes. So, as I already use svn to control
versions of my source code, I realized that same version control could be
used to backup the users changes.

The idea is to do a commit every night. The user will change the files at
business hour and the server will commit these changes at night. Only the
server will access the repository.

Is this a good strategy? SVN can hold 35Gb without problems?

Thanks in advice,

---
Felipe Marin Cypriano
Vitória - ES

Re: Subversion as a File Server backup. 35Gb of data

Posted by Rudy Godoy Guillén <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2008/7/8 Felipe Marin Cypriano <fm...@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm testing subversion to be the backup system of my file server. What it
> means? I've almost 35Gb stored in file server, every day users change some
> files and I want to backup this changes. So, as I already use svn to control
> versions of my source code, I realized that same version control could be
> used to backup the users changes.
>
> The idea is to do a commit every night. The user will change the files at
> business hour and the server will commit these changes at night. Only the
> server will access the repository.

I find the scenary a bit prone to give more headaches than be really useful
for your purposes. I'd go for a file-sync-over-net solution such rsync or
the others available.

In fact I wonder why did you didn't tought for a simple cycling backup
solution instead?

regards