Posted to users@pulsar.apache.org by Apache Pulsar Slack <ap...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/31 09:11:03 UTC

Slack digest for #general - 2018-10-31

2018-10-30 10:36:44 UTC - Julien Nioche: Hi, am having issues with the dependencies when using the Storm adaptor. See <https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/2890>, any help would be greatly appreciated
----
2018-10-30 13:59:41 UTC - Ryan Samo: Hey guys and gals,
Let’s say you have two data centers and wanted to setup Pulsar in both of them. I see that geo-replication is the method used to do synchronous or asynchronous replication to keep both DCs in sync. Could you also potentially build a stretch cluster where some of the brokers and bookies are in one data center and some are in the other, then use a global zookeeper quorum so that you effectively make one giant cluster?

My question is why would this be better or worse than geo-replication or is this even possible/advisable?
----
2018-10-30 15:40:17 UTC - Benjamin: Hi guys, I can only find api/cmd createPartitionedTopic , can I specify a partition number of 1?
----
2018-10-30 15:42:41 UTC - Benjamin: in my env, I can only call createPartitionedTopic command line with  &gt;=2 partitions, but Can I use reader to read a topic with more than one partitions?
----
2018-10-30 15:53:38 UTC - Sanjeev Kulkarni: @Ryan Samo you can have a pulsar cluster that straddles accross two data centers. The key penalty that you will be paying is latency. Thruput will be decided by the amount of available bandwidth between the two datacenters.
----
2018-10-30 15:55:07 UTC - Sanjeev Kulkarni: @Benjamin You can specify partition of 1
----
2018-10-30 15:57:08 UTC - Matteo Merli: @Benjamin you need to create one reader per partition. Partition names are like `TOPIC-partition-0`
----
2018-10-30 15:58:26 UTC - Matteo Merli: Non partitioned topics are automatically created. And current requiement is for partitioned topics to have 2+ partitions
----
2018-10-30 16:04:16 UTC - Ryan Samo: Ok thanks @Sanjeev Kulkarni ! I was hoping you’d only say it might have a latency issue. What about rack aware or data center aware configs if not using geo-replication? I only see docs around that for geo.
----
2018-10-30 16:14:34 UTC - Benjamin: @Matteo Merli @Ryan Samo thanks for reply, non partitioned topic means topic with only 1 partition , right? it can be persistent? code like below will automatically create a non partitioned topic? "    producer, err := client.CreateProducer(pulsar.ProducerOptions{
    Topic: "my-topic",
})
"
----
2018-10-30 16:16:06 UTC - Matteo Merli: If the topic doesn’t exist, it will create a non partitioned topic. If the topic existed already, it might be partitioned (or not)
----
2018-10-30 16:16:51 UTC - Grant Wu: Does it create upon the first message being sent or when CreateProducer returns?
----
2018-10-30 16:18:02 UTC - Benjamin: the auto-created topic is persistent?
----
2018-10-30 16:18:47 UTC - Grant Wu: Yes
----
2018-10-30 16:45:27 UTC - Matteo Merli: &gt; Does it create upon the first message being sent or when CreateProducer returns?

@Grant Wu Yes, when the create producer returns, the topic has been created (and eventually, authn&amp;authz been checked)

&gt; the auto-created topic is persistent?

@Benjamin The type of topic is specified in the topic name. (eg: `<persistent://public/default/my-topic>` or `<non-persistent://public/default/other-topic`>). If not specified, the default is `persistent`. Eg: `my-topic` is equivalent to `<persistent://public/default/my-topic`)>.

The topic will not be deleted as long as it’s being used or there is valid data stored on it. That depends on having subscriptions created on the topic or setting a retention policy to ensure data is kept for the specified time.
----
2018-10-30 23:25:07 UTC - Benjamin: @Matteo Merli many thanks for the explanation
+1 : Matteo Merli
----
2018-10-31 00:01:06 UTC - Benjamin: it will be great if these info could be put in official doc , I cannot find it there
----
2018-10-31 00:01:12 UTC - Benjamin: @Matteo Merli
----
2018-10-31 00:05:23 UTC - Han Tang: @Han Tang has joined the channel
----
2018-10-31 00:06:48 UTC - Sijie Guo: @Benjamin :

I think the documentation is there:

&gt; the auto-created topic is persistent?

<http://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/pulsar-2.0/#flexible-topic-naming>

message retention:

<http://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/cookbooks-retention-expiry/>

&gt; Does it create upon the first message being sent or when CreateProducer returns?

<http://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/concepts-messaging/#no-need-to-explicitly-create-new-topics>

if you have any idea on helping us improving the documentation, would like to hear from you.
----
2018-10-31 00:40:07 UTC - Benjamin: Great thanks @Sijie Guo I'd like to contribute
ok_hand : Matteo Merli
----