Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by mike nicholaides <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/01 18:15:21 UTC

Holding on to "source" files

Hey everybody,

Here's my deal: I'm running a large intranet site.  The live copy and
all the development copies are svn working copies.  Now, oftentimes
people give us Word documents to post, and we convert the to
Flashpaper or PDFs and then post them.  We want the flashpaper and
pdf's on the live working copy, but not the Word documents.  On the
develop copies, we want both pdfs and Word docs.  Is there a scheme
that anyone has devised to handle this?

One way to solve this, I think may be to set a property on the files
that we don't want on the live working copy, and then prevent the
update from downloading them, or removing them with a script after
every update.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://tech.ablegray.com

Re: Holding on to "source" files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 1, 2006, at 20:15, mike nicholaides wrote:

> Here's my deal: I'm running a large intranet site.  The live copy and
> all the development copies are svn working copies.  Now, oftentimes
> people give us Word documents to post, and we convert the to
> Flashpaper or PDFs and then post them.  We want the flashpaper and
> pdf's on the live working copy, but not the Word documents.  On the
> develop copies, we want both pdfs and Word docs.  Is there a scheme
> that anyone has devised to handle this?
>
> One way to solve this, I think may be to set a property on the files
> that we don't want on the live working copy, and then prevent the
> update from downloading them, or removing them with a script after
> every update.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

In my projects the top-level directories under trunk are always "web"
and "dev". "web" is what gets checked out on the production web
server. "dev" is everything else that I need for development
(Photoshop files, Word source files or documentation) but which
doesn't go on the live server.