Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org> on 2007/04/23 20:25:12 UTC

Multi-Project Release and Version Numbering

Hi,

I'm trying to work out using the release-plugin with a multi-project
setup.  All of my sub-projects refer to the parent project and inherit
its version - not declaring one of their own.  I use ${project.version}
in my dependencies so that inter-project dependencies can refer to the
current version of the other sub-projects, and so forth.

I have two questions about doing the release:

1) The release:prepare always asks me for release and new snapshot
versions for each sub-project.  Is there not some way to make it only
ask me for the parent and have that value propagate through the whole build?

2) It seems that the default new snapshot versions increments the minor
version number automatically.  This isn't the behavior that I want as we
use the iteration number as our version number.  This wouldn't be so bad
if we didn't have to enter it for every sub-project.  So, is there some
way to change this behavior?

Thanks,
Dave