Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/06/22 17:53:36 UTC

Packaging dependencies

Hi,

How do we want to package dependencies. Say Excalibur Component X depends
upon Y what do we want to do when distributing X. Options include;
1. dont distribute Y
2. distribute Y in separate file (say in lib/depends/Y.jar)
3. distribute multiple version of X, one raw version and one -all version
(ie X.jar and X-all.jar)
4. (2) and (3)

(4) may be best option as most of excalibur components are small and that
gets the best of all worlds. Opinions?

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith

Re: Packaging dependencies

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 02:36 PM 6/23/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:53:36AM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do we want to package dependencies. Say Excalibur Component X depends
> > upon Y what do we want to do when distributing X. Options include;
> > 1. dont distribute Y
> > 2. distribute Y in separate file (say in lib/depends/Y.jar)
> > 3. distribute multiple version of X, one raw version and one -all version
> > (ie X.jar and X-all.jar)
> > 4. (2) and (3)
> >
> > (4) may be best option as most of excalibur components are small and that
> > gets the best of all worlds. Opinions?
>
>Sounds good. The depchecker can automatically record which jars are used
>to build a project. Now if you type:
>
>ant -Djarlist=jars.list

Woohoo!

I've tried to make a more automated system, but Ant's scoping and
>property passing rules are just horrible.

tell me about it ;)

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Packaging dependencies

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Saturday 22 June 2002 11:53 am, Peter Donald wrote:
> How do we want to package dependencies. Say Excalibur Component X depends
> upon Y what do we want to do when distributing X. Options include;
> 1. dont distribute Y
> 2. distribute Y in separate file (say in lib/depends/Y.jar)
> 3. distribute multiple version of X, one raw version and one -all version
> (ie X.jar and X-all.jar)
> 4. (2) and (3)
>
> (4) may be best option as most of excalibur components are small and that
> gets the best of all worlds. Opinions?

+1 to 4, provides the most flexibility.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Packaging dependencies

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:53:36AM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do we want to package dependencies. Say Excalibur Component X depends
> upon Y what do we want to do when distributing X. Options include;
> 1. dont distribute Y
> 2. distribute Y in separate file (say in lib/depends/Y.jar)
> 3. distribute multiple version of X, one raw version and one -all version
> (ie X.jar and X-all.jar)
> 4. (2) and (3)
>
> (4) may be best option as most of excalibur components are small and that
> gets the best of all worlds. Opinions?

Sounds good. The depchecker can automatically record which jars are used
to build a project. Now if you type:

ant -Djarlist=jars.list

a text file, jars.list will be created, containing a list of paths to
jars the depchecker encountered during dependency checking. Likewise:

ant -Djardir=/tmp/jars

will copy all required jars into /tmp/jars

Caveats:
 - only works if doing a clean build of Excalibur, as otherwise the
   depchecker doesn't examine dependencies of already-built projects.
 - the jarlist file is infinitely appended to, so needs to be manually
   deleted between runs.

I've tried to make a more automated system, but Ant's scoping and
property passing rules are just horrible.

--Jeff

Re: Packaging dependencies

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 17:53, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do we want to package dependencies. Say Excalibur Component X depends
> upon Y what do we want to do when distributing X. Options include;
> 1. dont distribute Y
> 2. distribute Y in separate file (say in lib/depends/Y.jar)
> 3. distribute multiple version of X, one raw version and one -all version
> (ie X.jar and X-all.jar)
> 4. (2) and (3)
>
> (4) may be best option as most of excalibur components are small and that
> gets the best of all worlds. Opinions?

+1 in general. Once jars get so big the advantage of bigger jars (never
done testing, is that around a 100k or so?) not anymore, really.

- Leo

RE: Packaging dependencies

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> Hi,
>
> How do we want to package dependencies. Say Excalibur
> Component X depends
> upon Y what do we want to do when distributing X. Options
> include; 1. dont distribute Y 2. distribute Y in separate
> file (say in lib/depends/Y.jar) 3. distribute multiple
> version of X, one raw version and one -all version
> (ie X.jar and X-all.jar)
> 4. (2) and (3)
>
> (4) may be best option as most of excalibur components are
> small and that
> gets the best of all worlds. Opinions?

4 = +1

I think that option four is the best bet.