Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2014/07/10 18:04:29 UTC

Can we stop the wild commits RIGHT NOW please?

Hi Werner,

I'm seeing commits from you which make absolutely no sense including
removing and re-adding folders that are obviously not related to
anything that you are working on. See an example below.

Can you stop this immediately please?

Hopefully it's just something very wrong with the svn client that you
are using, but whatever the cause this needs to stop.

-Bertrand

Author: wkeil
Date: Thu Jul 10 01:09:17 2014
New Revision: 1609359

Log: (empty)

Added:
    incubator/devicemap/trunk/browsermap/.travis.yml
      - copied unchanged from r1609358,
incubator/devicemap/trunk/browsermap/trunk/.travis.yml
Removed:
    incubator/devicemap/trunk/browsermap/trunk/.travis.yml

Author: wkeil
Date: Thu Jul 10 01:15:14 2014
New Revision: 1609364

Log: (empty)

Removed:
    incubator/devicemap/trunk/browsermap/src/main/js/

Re: Can we stop the wild commits RIGHT NOW please?

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

If you look at the comments from [1] you'll see that it was easier for
INFRA to set the GitHub mirror with the folder structure from r1543040.
Reverting takes a few minutes. Changing an INFRA script definitely takes
more.

Since I'd like to release the BrowserMap module soon (this time following
the ASF process of doing that) it would be nice if you could just revert
your changes for that folder.

Thanks,
Radu

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Radu,

Glad to see some activity also from your side.
That is first and foremost my area of interest. OpenDDR created quite some
positive momentum after several other Open Source projects either died or
got locked away like WURFL in this Area.

Based on code assessment and mutual trust in a joint effort for the greater
Good of the commnunity I donated code on behalf of OpenDDR. None of this is
outdated or wrong since then, as the WURFL fraction or (oddly;-) Reza
repeatedly said. It fully implements the W3C standard. The remaining more
popular commercial competitors like DeviceAtlas or DetectRight do so, too.
Some offer different APIs, so can WE. Those who don't want to understand
it, mainly Reza created a hostile, heated series of flames seeming almost
like he's been bribed by the WURFL folks to disrupt and destroy the
project?;-O

That POM change affects all downstream projects and he didn't bother to
adjust them. Not to mention the attempt to "fork " the project, while many
examples and "Wiki" like doc pages are still scattered across personal
sites (not just his) where it is hard to find them instead of improving the
Apache site.

If that Git mirror must have a common folder, then naming it
"/trunk/browsermap/git" or similar instead of /trunk../trunk would be
enough. Ideally SVN tags could be under /tags/browsermap, too alongside
other tags?;-)
In fact I doubt, a roll-back of a rXxx of yours should destroy those tags I
placed with others. There could be a second copy then.

Werner

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Radu,

Will see what I can do. There was however a very mean and redundant
duplication of code kind of like /trunk/browsermap/trunk.

Do you really say Git insists on this bad behavior or could the mirror be
better structured?[?]
/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap*/trunk/browsermap/trunk*
shows that redundancy.

Could the Git pull script (we don't have control over that from the SVN
side) be fixed to avoid this redundancy?
And simply point to /repos/asf/incubator/devicemap*/trunk/browsermap*
without the extra /trunk?

That should fix the sync problem.

Werner

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
There is no evicende in the SVN repo that something is mirrored, the Git
repository shows some config files.
All svn tags of browsermap are preserved under /tags, but the most
important question is, how it relates to DeviceMap and where it stands with
regards to incubation?

Tags say "1.0.4", so is that graduated already? If so why isn't there a
download, or is it just a different label.

Thanks for the clarification

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
It seems the Git repository is mirrored from a small subsection of the SVN
codebase, at least telling from GitHub.
There's nothing wrong with the SVN client, but as Browsermap was said to be
on the Apache Git repo it seemed a relic from the past.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org