Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by dan tran <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/02 11:01:06 UTC

archiver-maven-plugin?

Hi every one,

I would like introduce archiver-maven-plugin.  It is a cut down version of
maven-assembly-plugin with the following functionalities.

  1. Smaller feature scope - compression/archiving only

  2. Descriptor's objects are exposed through plugin's configuration.
     This way, we can take advantage of expression processing provided by
the POM.

  3. Install and deploy are thru artifact attachments.

  4. No direct DependencySet support, user can use dependency-maven-plugin
instead.

I am still struggling to decide if spinning this plugin off
maven-assembly-plugin,
is a good idea.  However by cutting down feature scope, the plugin will be
very
stable in the long term.

Suggestions?

Thanks

-Dan

Re: archiver-maven-plugin?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
> OK, let me see what I can do!!

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-40

:)

- Brett

Re: archiver-maven-plugin?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
dan tran wrote:

>> I still don't understand. The assembly plugin is already released! :)
>> Do you mean the wait for the 2.1 release?
>

> It has been 2 and half months. ;-)  Is it time a for a new release?
>
> Any how, I agree that It does not look right when there are 2 similar
> plugins.

Agreed, I think the assembly plugin should be able to perform simple
tasks as well and another plugin with similiar capabilities would just
be confusing not to mention a maintenance problem.

> - Brett

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

A man enjoys hsi work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: archiver-maven-plugin?

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
On 1/2/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> dan tran wrote:
> >> by
> >>>
> >> I think we need to introduce this to the assembly plugin anyway.
> >

> > Sound good, is it thru a seperate mojo?
>
> No, I think the existing mojo needs to interpolate the descriptor.

OK, let me see what I can do!!

Re: archiver-maven-plugin?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: archiver-maven-plugin?