Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Normann Nielsen <li...@dubbekarl.dk> on 2004/03/25 10:41:53 UTC

BerkeleyDB 4.2 in binaries build?

Hi everybody!

I've tried to enable the automatic removal of unused database log files
in Subversion 1.0.1 - the RedHat 9 build from:

http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/redhat-9.0/bin

It doesn't work, in fact I cannot access my repository afterwards. I
guess that is because the binary is built against BerkeleyDB 4.0 where
this option is not available. Can anyone verify this, maybe even explain
the reason behind not using the 4.2 version?

Best regards,
Jan Nielsen

Re: BerkeleyDB 4.2 in binaries build?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Jan Normann Nielsen <li...@dubbekarl.dk> writes:
>         ldd /usr/bin/svnadmin
>
> to find out that it is linked against
>
>         libdb-4.0.so => /usr/lib/libdb-4.0.so (0x400c6000)

Your diagnosis was right on, congrats :-).

> Thanks for all the help.

You're welcome.  Were you able to get it built against the right
Berkeley DB afterwards?

-Karl

Re: BerkeleyDB 4.2 in binaries build?

Posted by Jan Normann Nielsen <li...@dubbekarl.dk>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>Jan Normann Nielsen <li...@dubbekarl.dk> writes:
>

>>I've tried to enable the automatic removal of unused database log
>>files in Subversion 1.0.1 - the RedHat 9 build from:
>>
>>http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/redhat-9.0/bin
>>
>>It doesn't work, in fact I cannot access my repository afterwards. I
>>guess that is because the binary is built against BerkeleyDB 4.0 where
>>this option is not available. Can anyone verify this, maybe even
>>explain the reason behind not using the 4.2 version?
>>

>It helps to give precise transcripts of what you actually did.  Then
>people can more easily figure out what went wrong.
>
>For example, don't just say "I've tried to enable the automatic
>removal of unused database log files".  Say "I edited
>/blah/repos/db/DB_CONFIG, adding the following line to the end..."
>then give the exact change you made.
>
>Then later, don't just say "I cannot access my repository afterwards".
>Say "I ran 'svn checkout file://blah/blah/repos/ myproj' as user
>jrandom and got the following error:" then give the exact error text.
>
>Etc, etc.
>
>As for your specific problem, yes, your hypothesis is one possible
>reason this might be happening, but without more information, we can't
>be sure.  You might try running 'ldd /usr/local/bin/svnadmin' and
>'ldd /usr/local/bin/svn' (assuming that's where they're installed) and
>posting the output here.

I'm aware that my mail wasn't very good to begin with. I'm sorry for
that. I didn't know about the ldd command but I have figured this out by
now:

        ldd /usr/bin/svnadmin

to find out that it is linked against

        libdb-4.0.so => /usr/lib/libdb-4.0.so (0x400c6000)

rpm -qi db4 shows me that it is actually version 4.0 (and not 4.2) that
is installed in RedHat release 9. This explains why I can't uncomment the

        # set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

line in DB_CONFIG in my repository which I suspected was the problem in
the first place. Actually, the error subversion gave me upon browsing

        http://localhost/svn/repos/

was:

        <D:error>
        <C:error/>
        <m:human-readable errcode="160029">
        Could not open the requested SVN filesystem
        </m:human-readable>
        </D:error>

Thanks for all the help.

Best regards,
Jan Nielsen

Re: BerkeleyDB 4.2 in binaries build?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Jan Normann Nielsen <li...@dubbekarl.dk> writes:
> I've tried to enable the automatic removal of unused database log
> files in Subversion 1.0.1 - the RedHat 9 build from:
>
> http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/redhat-9.0/bin
>
> It doesn't work, in fact I cannot access my repository afterwards. I
> guess that is because the binary is built against BerkeleyDB 4.0 where
> this option is not available. Can anyone verify this, maybe even
> explain the reason behind not using the 4.2 version?

It helps to give precise transcripts of what you actually did.  Then
people can more easily figure out what went wrong.

For example, don't just say "I've tried to enable the automatic
removal of unused database log files".  Say "I edited
/blah/repos/db/DB_CONFIG, adding the following line to the end..."
then give the exact change you made.

Then later, don't just say "I cannot access my repository afterwards".
Say "I ran 'svn checkout file://blah/blah/repos/ myproj' as user
jrandom and got the following error:" then give the exact error text.

Etc, etc.

As for your specific problem, yes, your hypothesis is one possible
reason this might be happening, but without more information, we can't
be sure.  You might try running 'ldd /usr/local/bin/svnadmin' and
'ldd /usr/local/bin/svn' (assuming that's where they're installed) and
posting the output here.

Good luck,
-Karl