Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Margie Mounce <Ma...@OnPathTech.com> on 2008/09/18 15:08:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache HTTP Server 2.2.8 MSI Silent Install with Custom httpd.conf

Hello,

I've been investigating how to do a silent and custom installation of Apache HTTP
Server 2.2.8 using msiexec.exe on Windows XP & Vista.   I'm familiar with the msiexec
parameters for the no user interface mode, but I have not been able to find the proper
Apache parameters for setting the necessary httpd.conf directives during installation.
The installation is done programmatically, so I need to be able to pass in the non-
default values on the command line.  Is there a way to get a listing of all installation
configurable parameters for Apache?  I have not been able to find this.

I created a log via
   msiexec /I apache_2.2.8-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi /L*v ApacheInstall.log
and cancelled it after it started to supposedly see the default parameters and their
values, but the log file was too verbose, and had no explanation of the effects of
setting Property values.

The following command line:

msiexec.exe /i "apache_2.2.8-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi" /qn
INSTALLDIR="%SystemDrive%\ProgramFiles\ApacheGroup" SERVERNAME="%computername%"
SERVERADMIN="admin@localhost" ALLUSERS=1 RebootYesNo=No

installs in the specified INSTALLDIR with the given values reflected in httpd.conf, but
I need to override additional values in that file.

I tried specifying APACHEHTDOCSDIR="C:\UCMS" on the command line, and files did get put
into that directory, but the httpd.conf file did not have the DocumentRoot directive set
to the specified directory.  I also need to be able to update the DirectoryIndex directive.
There are also a few other customizations that need to be done to the httpd.conf file.

If I need to do too many customizations than can be handled at installation time, is there
a way supply my own pre-configured httpd.conf on the command line that can be put in the
conf directory during installation?

Thanks for your time,
Margie