Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2017/02/12 15:52:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Hello,

Commons mission has always been to provide a home for common _Java_ libraries. Since my personal and professional interests are slowly shifting from Java towards Scala, I’m looking for ways to contribute to Open Source with Scala. For this reason I’d like to discuss whether Commons could be a home for common Scala libraries as well. For example I’m thinking about wrapper libraries which add Scala sugar to the existing libraries. Furthermore there are some Scala projects out there at the ASF (Kafka, Spark) which my be interested in sharing code via Commons.

Regards,
Benedikt

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
We're using Maven in Log4j 2 for our Scala API and it seems to work fine,
but it's not exactly a large submodule (just a few classes). This is the
plugin we're using: <https://github.com/davidB/scala-maven-plugin>. As for
using SBT, I have one friend who loves it, and I have a couple other
friends who absolutely hate it. Technically, Gradle supports Scala as well <
https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/scala_plugin.html>, though I've
never used Gradle for non-Java or non-Groovy projects before.

I'd be on board with adding Scala stuff to Commons. My team at $job is
considering using Scala for upcoming projects, and other teams at the
company already use Scala. As I'm inexperienced with Scala, I'm kind of
wondering what sort of Commons libraries would be useful. The same would go
for Kotlin, Clojure, Groovy, or any other popular JVM languages (the less
popular ones would be feasible to support here if there are at least 3
people who can maintain and vote on releases for those libraries of course).

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I’m very happy to see to much positive feedback on this idea! Let’s wait a little longer to give others a chance to chime in. We can then discuss the details (e.g. which build tool to use)

Regards,
Benedikt

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I'm all for it.

Gary

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 10:52 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Commons mission has always been to provide a home for common _Java_ libraries.

It's seemed slightly odd to me that there weren't more supported languages represented in Commons.

Scala seems like a natural transition into the multi-lingual space without straying from the JVM.

-Rob

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-02-12, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Commons mission has always been to provide a home for common _Java_
> libraries. Since my personal and professional interests are slowly
> shifting from Java towards Scala, I’m looking for ways to contribute
> to Open Source with Scala. For this reason I’d like to discuss whether
> Commons could be a home for common Scala libraries as well.

I don't see why not as long as you find three people who are willing to
to touch the code it if needs to get changed ;-)

> For example I’m thinking about wrapper libraries which add Scala sugar
> to the existing libraries.

As additional artifacts, I assume.

Stefan

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala at Commons

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
+1

Started learning Scala some time ago, but there is still a lot to learn. So definitely willing to help with small issues in Scala projects at  Commons.

Cheers
Bruno