Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by ma...@mail.bg on 2011/08/20 11:03:25 UTC

java.lang.IllegalStateException: you can only locate or create sessions in the context of a request cycle even through WicketSessionFilter

Hello, guys,

I experience a strange problem with trying to provide a custom servlet with the wicket session.

Here is my web.xml conf:

<filter>
	<filter-name>wicketFilter</filter-name>
	<filter-class>org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter</filter-class>
	<init-param>
		<param-name>applicationClassName</param-name>
		<param-value>com.company.apps.appname.WebApp</param-value>
	</init-param>
	<init-param>
		<param-name>filterPath</param-name>
		<param-value>/</param-value>
	</init-param>
</filter>

<filter-mapping>
	<filter-name>wicketFilter</filter-name>
	<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>

<filter>
  <filter-name>wicketSessionFilter</filter-name>
  <filter-class>org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.servlet.WicketSessionFilter</filter-class>
  <init-param>
    <param-name>filterName</param-name>
    <param-value>wicketFilter</param-value>
  </init-param>
</filter>

<filter-mapping>
  <filter-name>wicketSessionFilter</filter-name>
  <url-pattern>/friends</url-pattern>
  <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
  <dispatcher>INCLUDE</dispatcher>
</filter-mapping>

<servlet>
	<servlet-name>friendsManager</servlet-name>
	<servlet-class>com.company.apps.appname.servlet.FriendsManagerServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
	<servlet-name>friendsManager</servlet-name>
	<url-pattern>/friends</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

The exception "java.lang.IllegalStateException: you can only locate or create sessions in the context of a request cycle" is being thrown by the 'friends' servlet.

Everything seems to be configured properly; however I get this error. I'm using wicket 1.4.17.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you and regards,
Martin

-------------------------------------

Видя ли лятната промоция на СуперХостинг?
Дават цели ДВЕ години, като плащаш само ЕДНА!
Истина е, провери!
 http://www.superhosting.bg/SummerHostingPromo/?utm_source=MailBG&utm_medium=FooterLink&utm_content=SummerPromo123&utm_campaign=SummerPromo

Re: java.lang.IllegalStateException: you can only locate or create sessions in the context of a request cycle even through WicketSessionFilter

Posted by ma...@mail.bg.

Sorry, my mistake...

Session is not null at servlet. There I have:

session is: org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade@412f4b

while the statement in logs from wicketsessionfilter is:

20-08-2011 13:25:57,753 DEBUG
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.servlet.WicketSessionFilter.bindSession:180
- could not set Wicket session: key null not found in http session for
/appname,IP_ADDRESS, or http session does not exist

----- Цитат от martin.asenov@mail.bg, на 20.08.2011 в 13:31 -----

yes, really session is null.... :O

at servlet:

req.getSession() returns null

and wicketsessionfilter in debug mode prints

20-08-2011 13:25:57,753 DEBUG
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.servlet.WicketSessionFilter.bindSession:180
- could not set Wicket session: key null not found in http session for
/appname,IP_ADDRESS, or http session does not exist

I really don't get it... null http session... could this really be true?

Best,
Martin

----- Цитат от Martin Grigorov (mgrigorov@apache.org), на
20.08.2011 в 13:16 ----- try with
getWebRequest().getHttpServletRequest().getHttpSession(false)
in your page before making the call to the servlet.
It should return non-null.
Additionally turn on DEBUG logging for WSF

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM, wrote:

Actually I load a wicket page at root context and obtain a session.
Afterwards I hit a button that posts to the servlet. I think I'm supposed
to have HttpSession at the time.

Best,
Martin

----- Цитат от Martin Grigorov (mgrigorov@apache.org), на
20.08.2011 в 12:44 ----- the mapping is OK. we see WicketSessionFilter
in the stack

there is the following code in WSF#bindSession():

 if (session == null)
 {
 if (logger.isDebugEnabled())
 {
 logger.debug("could not set Wicket session: key " + sessionKey +
 " not found in http session for " +
 ((HttpServletRequest)request).getContextPath() + "," +
request.getServerName() +
 ", or http session does not exist");
 }
 }

Maybe you don't have active HttpSession yet.

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM, wrote:

Here is the exception:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: you can only locate or create sessions in
the context of a request cycle

 at org.apache.wicket.Session.findOrCreate(Session.java:209)

 at org.apache.wicket.Session.get(Session.java:253)

 at
com.company.apps.appname.servlet.FriendsManagerServlet.doPost(FriensManagerServlet.java:39)

 at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(AppicationFilterChain.java:290)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationilterChain.java:206)

 at
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.servlet.WicketSessionFilter.doFilter(WicketSessionFilter.java:150)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)

 at

 at
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.doFilter(WicketFilter.jva:370)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)

 at

 at

 at

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

 at

 at

 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)

 at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor.process(Http11AprProcessor.java:864)

 at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11AprProtocol.java:579)

 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoint.java:1665)

 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

----- Цитат от Martin Grigorov (mgrigorov@apache.org), на
20.08.2011 в 12:17 ----- paste the last few lines of the exception

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM, wrote:

Hi, namesake :)

Already tried that, no result.

Best,

Martin

----- Цитат от Martin Grigorov (mgrigorov@apache.org), на
20.08.2011 в 12:09 ----- Try with url-mapping: /friends/* both for the
session filter and the servlet

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, wrote:
 Hello, guys,

I experience a strange problem with trying to provide a custom servlet
with
the wicket session.

Here is my web.xml conf:

 wicketFilter
 org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter

 applicationClassName
 com.company.apps.appname.WebApp

 filterPath
 /

 wicketFilter
 /*

 wicketSessionFilter
 org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.servlet.WicketSessionFilter

 filterName
 wicketFilter

 wicketSessionFilter
 /friends
 REQUEST
 INCLUDE

 friendsManager

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend

-------------------------------------

Виж какво открих...
Поръчваш си ЕДНА - получаваш цели ДВЕ,
като втората е бонус!
 http://www.superhosting.bg/SummerHostingPromo/?utm_source=MailBG&utm_medium=FooterLink&utm_content=SummerPromo124&utm_campaign=SummerPromo

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

-------------------------------------

50% Отстъпка за Хостинг услуги от ICN.Bg
Хоствай до 101 сайта на 1 Хостинг и
Вземи Безплатно Домейн име.
 http://www.icn.bg/default.icn?show=about&status=about-news&news=173

--
[...]

Thanks a lot for your time, it did the trick :)

Best regards,
Martin

----- Цитат от Martin Grigorov (mgrigorov@apache.org), на
20.08.2011 в 14:31 -----   Call Session.get().bind() before the POST call
and it will be fine.

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM,  wrote:

In the page, which calls the servlet afterwards,
getWebRequestCycle().getWebRequest().getHttpServletRequest().getSession(false)
returns null

Do you have any ideas why this occurs?

Thank you,
[...]

Видя ли, че СуперХостинг БГ са пуснали домейните почти без пари?
"Домейн .EU на изключителна цена от 1,99 лв!"
 http://www.superhosting.bg/domain-eu.php?utm_source=MailBG&utm_medium=FooterLink&utm_content=DomainEU1&utm_campaign=EUDomainPromo

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.