Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/02/05 10:54:58 UTC

requesting move of mailing lists to avalon.apache.org

Hi apmail peeps,

The avalon project would like its mailing lists moved in accordance with
the general naming scheme followed at apache. IE we would like all
mailing lists renamed from

avalon-*@jakarta.apache.org

*@avalon.apache.org

so

avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org --> dev@avalon.apache.org
avalon-users@jakarta.apache.org --> users@avalon.apache.org
avalon-cvs@jakarta.apache.org --> cvs@avalon.apache.org
avalon-pmc@jakarta.apache.org --> pmc@avalon.apache.org

IIUC it is possible to simply move over the lists along with all current
subscribers and asf-hosted archives. This is desirable.

I believe it is also possible to automatically send notifications to
people that send messages to the old lists, directing them to the new
one. This is desirable, too.

Finally, could you please coordinate with the apcvs peeps (which just
/might/ be yourselves ;) so that avalon-related cvs messages are sent to
the new address?

Note: I'm volunteering to document the process followed here so if
there's any suggestions in that respect...

thanks in advance,

- Leo Simons
(avalon project committer and pmc member)

PS: mailing list subscribers, please note and accept there may be some
quirks and/or degradation of service as this move is carried out.

Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to propose that we all mailing lists are renamed from
>
> avalon-*@jakarta.apache.org

> *@avalon.apache.org
>
> Brian (of infrastructure genius fame) has already said this is quite
> possible, and some people have requested it. It also Simply Makes
> Sense(tm) and Keeps Things Consistent(sm) with other apache projects.
>
> this entails
>
> - reconfiguration of qmail 'n stuff by the apmail team
> - updates to eyebrowse to archive the new stuff by the apmail team
> - contacting the gmane people to get things changed on their end
> - contacting the mail-archive.com people to get things changed on their end
> - contacting the marc.theaimsgroup.com people to get things changed on
> their end
> - updating references to avalon-dev
> - updating the mailing list information (avalon.apache.org/mail.html,
> jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html), and doing a
>
> r/avalon-([a-z]+)@jakarta\.apache\.org/$1@avalon\.apache\.org/i
>
> on all our sourcefiles to update all references
> - updating your addressbook :D

additionally:
- update gump to send messages to the new location
- update cvs to send messages to the new location

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
> >
> >>thanks. You know, apps-dev and phoenix-dev were nuked some time ago (we
> >>decided to move all dev traffic back to a single dev list); they should
> >>not be open for posting and remain in some kind of existence only for
> >>archive purposes. Can you disable posting and subscribing to apps-dev
> >>and phoenix-dev?
> >
> > It would be best if we could delete the ezmlm dirs altogether and keep
> > archives in http://avalon.apache.org/mail/.  We'd lose the list of
> > existing subscribers, but that doesn't seem too bad to me.  Let me know if
> > this is OK to do.
>
> I think so. But why would we loose that list; why loose anything? That
> information is somewhere, so it should be possible to extract it, right?
> I dunno zip about ezmlm or qmail (I spent 4 hours compiling qmail the
> other day and it won't fly %-)), but I am guessing there are just a few
> files or dbs that can be archived. If that's doable, I'd like that.

I'm a packrat in real life, but just the opposite online, usually, just
second-nature.  I've tar'd up those two ezmlm dirs, I'll leave the tarball
in ~apmail/lists/avalon.apache.org in case we ever want to re-expand them.
I've removed the various .qmail files for each list (which can be easily
recreated from the list dirs).   Mail to those lists will now bounce.  The
archives at http://avalon.apache.org/mail/ won't be touched.

	Brian

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>thanks. You know, apps-dev and phoenix-dev were nuked some time ago (we
>>decided to move all dev traffic back to a single dev list); they should
>>not be open for posting and remain in some kind of existence only for
>>archive purposes. Can you disable posting and subscribing to apps-dev
>>and phoenix-dev?
>
> It would be best if we could delete the ezmlm dirs altogether and keep
> archives in http://avalon.apache.org/mail/.  We'd lose the list of
> existing subscribers, but that doesn't seem too bad to me.  Let me know if
> this is OK to do.

I think so. But why would we loose that list; why loose anything? That
information is somewhere, so it should be possible to extract it, right?
I dunno zip about ezmlm or qmail (I spent 4 hours compiling qmail the
other day and it won't fly %-)), but I am guessing there are just a few
files or dbs that can be archived. If that's doable, I'd like that.

cheers,

- Leo

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
>

>>The avalon project would like its mailing lists moved in accordance with
>>the general naming scheme followed at apache.
>>

>OK, this change is now in effect for all of the following:
>
>apps-dev
>cvs
>dev
>phoenix-dev
>pmc
>users

thanks. You know, apps-dev and phoenix-dev were nuked some time ago (we
decided to move all
dev traffic back to a single dev list); they should not be open for
posting and remain in some kind of
existence only for archive purposes. Can you disable posting and
subscribing to apps-dev and
phoenix-dev?

>I've also moved the relevant archives from http://jakarta.apache.org/mail/
>to http://avalon.apache.org/mail/.  CVS commits should be going to the
>right place now, too.  Messages to the old lists will bounce with a
>pointer to the new one.

works like a charm.

>Sorry about the delay.

no prob!