Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Binu John <Bi...@infosys.com> on 2008/04/29 05:36:24 UTC

RE: Struts 2 tag : Unable to retrieve the value in theaction

This does not help. :(
I tried using the setter method as below

        void setSelectKeyword(String[] selectKeyword) {
        log.debug(LoginAction.class.getName() + ": execute() : Checkpoint 1");
        this.temp = selectKeyword;
    }

But the log statement even does not gets printed. That means that the setter is not even getting called.
Also in the code fragment that you suggested, you specified that "selectedKeyword is what is selected". How do we configure that?
Do we have to set some parameter to make sure that the values in the list are getting written back using the setter?

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
 > <----- Start JSP ----->
 > <s:select value="selectKeyword" theme="simple" key="selectKeyword"
 > id="selectKeyword" name="selectKeyword" list="selectKeyword"
 > multiple="true"></s:select>
 > <----- End JSP ----->

You've specified 'selectKeyword' for every attribute... Each of those
attributes has a different meaning, so this wont work.

You need two properties on your action:

1) a collection of possible choices for the user to select from
2) a collection of values that have been selected

In the s:select tag, you need to set:

   'name' (or 'key') to the property that will record what was selected
   'list' to the property that contains all possible choices

If the property you specify in the 'list' attribute is a Map (as you
said in your first post) that's it. If it's not a map, you'll probably
need to also specify 'listKey' and 'listValue'.

Here's an example (not tested):

- action code:

   public Map getAvailableKeywords() { ... }

   public List getSelectedKeywords() { ... }
   public void setSelectedKeywords(List selected) { ... }

- JSP code:

   <s:select name="selectedKeywords list="availableKeywords"/>

HTH,

L.