Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> on 2015/11/16 01:22:46 UTC

[VOTE] PPMC change

Hi,

Please vote on the following Apache Apex (incubating) PPMC membership
change. Please refer to discussion at:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-apex-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCAKJfLDOw7on_VLJxAWLjgtpyvRt1d33c4wFNJrRbfYoo6dTifA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

The proposal is to reduce the size of the PPMC to the list of members shown
below (plus mentors) along with guidelines for expansion. If you are on the
initial committer list, then you are currently on the PPMC and should vote
on this proposal.

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ApexProposal#Initial_Committers

>From the beginning, the intent of the project was to be very open on
adding committers.
Contributors should be able to join as a committer with a low threshold.
Our aim was and remains building an open community. As stated in the
discussion, it was also the intent to start with a small PPMC and vote in
new members as we go, reflecting a growing and diverse community.

Opportunities for contribution:

   - Code, tests, ideas
   - Pull request review
   - Documentation
   - Organize meetups and other events
   - Participation on email list
   - Web site work
   - Release management and verification
   - Publishing papers and blogs
   - Presenting at conferences

Committer:

   - Contribution in one or multiple of above categories
   - ICLA
   - Voted in by PPMC

PPMC member

   - Existing committer
   - Consistent contribution and activity over a period of time
   - Participation in directional and community building discussions

New PPMC (before mentors)

   - Gaurav Gupta
   - Pramod Immaneni
   - Amol Kekre
   - Chetan Narsude
   - Thomas Weise
   - David Yan

It is our intent to expand this initial PPMC within weeks following the
vote based on the guidelines stated above.

More information on PPMC:  https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

Voting ends one week from today, i.e. midnight PST on 2015-11-22
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20151123T00&p0=886&font=cursive

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

+0 from me. I think this is going to be more work and make it harder for you to graduate. But that being said it’s up to the PPMC/PMC on how they want to run things.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

Posted by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com>.
Alan – where did you voice your concerns? They don’t seem to be reflected within the discussion on the mailing list.

From: Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, November 16, 2015 at 11:33 AM
To: "dev@apex.incubator.apache.org<ma...@apex.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@apex.incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

-0.  I think this is a bad idea, as I've tried to make clear.  I'm not clear on the rules of this vote and don't want to veto it, so I'm voting -0 rather than -1.

Alan.

[cid:part1.01000309.06040109@gmail.com]
Thomas Weise<ma...@apache.org>
November 15, 2015 at 16:22

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] PPMC change

Posted by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com>.
+1 (binding)

Thank you,
Ilya Ganelin

Re: PPMC members and binding vote

Posted by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com>.
As stated earlier, the current PPMC consists of the initial committers.
This vote is explicitly to change that to consist of the six members
listed by Thomas. However, given that until that vote clears, the PPMC
still consists of all initial committers and therefore their vote is the
one that matters in this vote. Am I mistaken in my interpretation of the
situation?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> PPMC members votes are binding for any project (podling while incubating) related votes, not only release votes.

That’s correct, I was just pointing out that committer votes are not binding on releases.

Thanks,
Justin

PPMC members and binding vote

Posted by Vlad Rozov <v....@datatorrent.com>.
Can you please clarify - PPMC members votes are binding only for release
votes or PPMC members votes are binding for any project (podling while
incubating) related votes, not only release votes.

Thank you,

Vlad

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

RE: [VOTE] PPMC change

Posted by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com>.
As one of the initial active folks on the list of committers (and thus a PPMC member) I'm acutely aware that I'm potentially forfeiting a seat on the PMC by voting for this proposal.

However, I fundamentally believe that the folks who should have a meaningful influence on a project's direction are those who have demonstrably earned that role. Anything else seems disingenuous and not in the spirit of Apache - a culture based on meritocracy and contribution. If the founding members ultimately decide that they want broader community involvement by involving others, that decision should be up to them. I feel that they have earned the privilege of explicitly making that decision.

I think it's unfair to portray a resignation as a negative in this instance. I don't think there's any question that the Apex PPMC seeks to grow the community In a sustained and meaningful way but that can only happen when the project maintains its integrity and clarity of purpose from the beginning.

Thank you,
Ilya Ganelin

-0. This is effectively asking a bunch of the initial committers to resign from the PPMC. That said, this is not a -1 from me as it is up to the initial folks who came in as part of the Incubation proposal to decide on how they would like to move forward and foster the community for the longer term.

— Hitesh

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.
The vote passes with 26 +1, 1 +0 and 2 -0 binding votes:

+1

Ilya Ganelin
Vlad Rozov
Chandni Singh
Amol Kekre
Ashwin Chandra Putta
Sandesh Hegde
Gaurav Gupta
Yogi Devendra
Atri Sharma
Aniruddha Thombare
Tushar Gosavi
Chinmay Kolhatkar
Pradeep Dalvi
Sandeep Deshmukh
Priyanka Gugale
Bhupesh Chawda
Ted Dunning
Taylor Goetz
Pramod Immaneni
Bright Chen
Siyuan Hua
Andy Perlitch
David Yan
Isha Arkatkar
Jessica Wang
Sasha Parfenov

+0
Justin Mclean

-0
Alan Gates
Hitesh Shah

Thanks for voting, we are going to document this PPMC change.

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] PPMC change