Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hehl, Thomas" <Th...@acs-inc.com> on 2009/11/05 19:31:20 UTC

Strange processes

I am running a tomcat instance on a server with a webapp we
manufactured. This is being connected to from Apache httpd using the
tomcat connecter.

What I don't understand is that every time someone hits our site, tomcat
spawns several more processes and they never go away. This same tomcat
and webapp are currently running on nearly 40 servers and they all only
have two processes except this one that spawns about 8 processes with
every hit.

I am running Redhat linux and tomcat 6.0.13. I am negotiating to get
tomcat upgraded, but don't have any other ideas. Does anyone have any
advice for me?

RE: Strange processes

Posted by "Hehl, Thomas" <Th...@acs-inc.com>.
OK, not identical. But they are the same linux version and have the same
versions of all of the software that I'm using. Obviously there is some
difference between them.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Strange processes

Posted by "Hehl, Thomas" <Th...@acs-inc.com>.
OK, but these servers are all identical. Why would one do this and the
rest not?

I don't have direct access to this server, but will try what you
suggest.

> What I don't understand is that every time someone hits our site,
tomcat
> spawns several more processes and they never go away. This same tomcat
> and webapp are currently running on nearly 40 servers and they all
only
> have two processes except this one that spawns about 8 processes with
> every hit.

Some linux kernels / JDKs shows java threads as separate processes.
Check pstree output and java thread dump (kill -3 <TOMCAT_PID>).

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>

Re: Strange processes

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.