Posted to solr-commits@lucene.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/08/28 01:29:22 UTC

[Solr Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by ErikHatcher

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by ErikHatcher:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ

The comment on the change is:
ImplEment correct spelling :)

  == I POSTed some documents, why don't they show up when I search? ==

- Documents that have been added to the index don't show up in search results untill a <commit/> message has been POSTed as well. This allows you to POST many documents in succesion and know that none of them will be visible to search clients untill you have finished.
+ Documents that have been added to the index don't show up in search results untill a <commit/> message has been POSTed as well. This allows you to POST many documents in succession and know that none of them will be visible to search clients untill you have finished.

  == How can I rebuild my index from scratch if I change my schema? ==

@@ -62, +62 @@

   1. Start your application server (Solr will detect that there is no existing index and make a new one)
   1. Re-Index your data

- == How do I use copyField with wild cards? ==
+ == How do I use copyField with wildcards? ==

- The `<copyField>` directive allows wild cards in the source, so that several fields can be copied into one destination field without having to specify them all individually.  A common use case is something like:
+ The `<copyField>` directive allows wildcards in the source, so that several fields can be copied into one destination field without having to specify them all individually.  A common use case is something like:

- requires that the source and dest fields both be full field names -- not wild card expressions.  so if you have the following dynamic fields defined...
+ requires that the source and dest fields both be full field names -- not wildcard expressions.  so if you have the following dynamic fields defined...

  {{{
     <copyField source="*_t"  dest="text" />
@@ -74, +74 @@

  This tells Solr to copy the contents of any field that ends in "_t" to the "text" field.  This is particularly useful when you have a large, and possibly changing, set of fields you want to index into a single field.  With the example above, you could start indexing fields like "description_t", "editorial_review_t", and so on, and all their content would be indexed in the "text" field.

- Note that you can use the wild-card copyField syntax with or without similar dynamicField declarations.  Thus you could choose to index the "description_t", "editorial_review_t" fields individually with a dynamicField like
+ Note that you can use the wildcard copyField syntax with or without similar dynamicField declarations.  Thus you could choose to index the "description_t", "editorial_review_t" fields individually with a dynamicField like

  {{{
     <dynamicField source="*_t" type="text" indexed="true" stored="false" />
@@ -103, +103 @@

  == Solr started, and i can POST documents to it, but the admin screen doesn't work ==

- The admin screens are implimented using JSPs which require a JDK (instead of just a JRE) to be compiled on the fly.  If you encounter errors trying to load the admin pages, and the stack traces of these errors seem to relate to compilation of JSPs, make sure you have a JDK installed, and make sure the it is the instance of java being used.
+ The admin screens are implemented using JSPs which require a JDK (instead of just a JRE) to be compiled on the fly.  If you encounter errors trying to load the admin pages, and the stack traces of these errors seem to relate to compilation of JSPs, make sure you have a JDK installed, and make sure the it is the instance of java being used.

  NOTE: Some Servlet Containers (like Tomcat5.5 and Jetty6) don't require a JDK for JSPs.