Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2008/03/22 17:14:05 UTC

SoC: Require students to develop in a public repository?

I'd like to suggest that for this year's SoC, we ask all students to do
their day-to-day development in a public repository, be it at
googlecode, svn.collab.net, red-bean.com or elsewhere.

One of the significant problems in previous years has been getting code
to mentors in time for them to do a thorough review in time to write up
their mid-term and final reports for Google - if the code under
development is continuously available, it makes it possible for the
mentor to maintain a better understanding of the evolving code, rather
than having to review a large chunk of changes on a short deadline.

Max.

Re: SoC: Require students to develop in a public repository?

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Karl Fogel wrote:
>> Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
>>> I'd like to suggest that for this year's SoC, we ask all students to
>>> do their day-to-day development in a public repository, be it at
>>> googlecode, svn.collab.net, red-bean.com or elsewhere.
>>
>> +1 on svn.collab.net branches.
>>
>>> One of the significant problems in previous years has been getting
>>> code to mentors in time for them to do a thorough review in time to
>>> write up their mid-term and final reports for Google - if the code
>>> under development is continuously available, it makes it possible for
>>> the mentor to maintain a better understanding of the evolving code,
>>> rather than having to review a large chunk of changes on a short
>>> deadline.
>>
>> Completely agree.  I hope no one objects to just using branches in the
>> main repository for this.
>
> Object?  On the contrary, I think it would help legitimize the GSoC
> coders' efforts a bit more.  Think:  morale booster shot.
>
> +1 on svn.collab.net branches.

+1 from me, also.  Even though I was already a full committer last year,
it was really useful to have a branch specifically for my SoC work.

-Hyrum

Re: SoC: Require students to develop in a public repository?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: SoC: Require students to develop in a public repository?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.