Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jonathan Creasy <jc...@box.com> on 2012/07/18 04:49:16 UTC

KAFKA-203 - Improve Metrics (use codehale/metrics)

What's the current status of this?

KAFKA-203 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-203)

Joe Stein, are you planning to submit patches that do this if you have
it running in production?

Re: KAFKA-203 - Improve Metrics (use codehale/metrics)

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.
cool

I use metrics in production for a lot of our software it is great and think
it would be great to have in Kafka, yup

i am +1 on 203 using metrics

Joel, since you are using metrics in KAFKA-385 once that patch is available
we can use KAFKA-203 and go through the rest of the code for having it used
everywhere else (so apply 385 then apply 203) ... It might be worth it also
for 203 to have 2 patches 1 for trunk (cherry picking the 385 changes that
add the dependency, etc) and the another for 0.8 (which would be the apply
385 then 203)

I would be fine to work on 203 if we have/get consensus (which we don't yet
... why I never did anything yet with 203) that the introduction of metrics
to 385 and to the system overall is how we want to go.  as part of that i
would also introduce exposing the http, graphite and ganglia modules (woot,
my ops team would love this)

--

/*
Joe Stein

Re: KAFKA-203 - Improve Metrics (use codehale/metrics)

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.