Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Dimitris Zenios <di...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/11 21:58:02 UTC

SymbolSource to clear cache

Hi everyone

Is there a possibility that a method is added in SymbolSource in order
to clear its caches.For example if i add a databaseSymbolProvider and
i want to updatesymbol values from the application i cannot do it
right now because the symbols are cached inside symbolSource.Maybe if
we can have  a method to clear the cache or better pass symbolprovides
rid and only clear that it will be much better

Best Regards
Dimitris Zenios

Re: SymbolSource to clear cache

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:25:45 -0300, Dimitris Zenios
<di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are symbols meant to be immutable?I dont think there is a problem
> for having an option to clear the cache of a single symbol provider.Do
> you?

I do. Symbols have been immutable for years, since the beginning of
Tapestry 5, and changing that would have unforeseen consequences. Nothing
that uses symbols nor SymbolSource nor SymbolSource expects them to
change. If you want something that is mutable, just create your own
service for that. SymbolSource reads all symbols provider values at start
up and never reads them again, so clearing one of the providers wouldn't
make any difference.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: SymbolSource to clear cache

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:58:02 -0300, Dimitris Zenios
<di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone

Hi!

> Is there a possibility that a method is added in SymbolSource in order
> to clear its caches.For example if i add a databaseSymbolProvider and
> i want to updatesymbol values from the application i cannot do it
> right now because the symbols are cached inside symbolSource.Maybe if
> we can have  a method to clear the cache or better pass symbolprovides
> rid and only clear that it will be much better

Symbols are meant to be immutable, so I doubt it will ever happen.