Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2014/08/25 14:39:33 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

The Apache Flex community is pleased to announce the release of Apache
Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

The Apache Flex Tour De Flex component explorer provides a sample set of working
Apache Flex examples.

This application is based on work donated by Adobe and their component explorer and
is expected to be updated over time. We welcome feedback and contributions to it
from the wider Apache Flex community.

The Apache Flex TourDeFlex is available in source form for you to compile from the
following download page:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/flex/tourdeflex/1.0

When downloading from a mirror site, please remember to verify the
downloads using signatures or MD5 hashes.

For your convenience have it has also been  compiled and placed upon on the
Apache Flex web site:
http://flex.apache.org/tourdeflex/explorer.html

For more information on Apache Flex, visit the project home page:
http://flex.apache.org

Thank you for using Apache Flex,
The Apache Flex Community

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Those of you who want view source:  Do you have to have the full view
source?  Or do you just need a link to download the MXML file, or link to
a zip of each example, or code-coloring in the MXML viewer?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I would say view source is essential
It's released as a source package so you can get all the source if you want form here:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/flex/tourdeflex/1.0

Hopefully someone will fix it for the next release and that won't be too far into the future.

Thanks,
Justin

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> eg: Search component in spark/techniques/custom components - there is no way to see code for the focus of the example; the SearchBox component

As this is a first release there is a couple of thing that still need improving. We have a couple of JIRA raised to improve this exact issue, for example:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34489
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34482

If anyone could help out that would be great.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> It would be nice to have right-click view source for the examples
>
> eg: Search component in spark/techniques/custom components - there is no
way to see code for the focus of the example; the SearchBox component

> I know we can download the project but thats not very user friendly for
people who are 'exploring'.

Isn't the source in the bottom panel good enough?  Do we need a separate

Om

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Blog post is live:
https://blogs.apache.org/flex/entry/apache_flex_tourdeflex_1_0

Official tweet: https://twitter.com/ApacheFlex/status/503948868199784448
(Please retweet)

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> However I am not able to find MaskedTextInput component which got released in flex SDK 4.12, is it missing or not required?

We are in the process of added new components (and would like some help with that) [1]

I actually added a simple MaskedTextInput example today [2] but that wasn't included in this release but should be in the next release.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34484
2. https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/blob/develop/TourDeFlex/TourDeFlex3/src/apache/controls/MaskedTextInputExample.mxml

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by "Raj U. Shaikh" <Ra...@mastek.com>.
Good job and Thanks Justin.
[...]

MASTEK LTD.
In the US, we're called MAJESCOMASTEK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not that of Mastek Limited, unless specifically indicated to that effect. Mastek Limited does not accept any responsibility or liability for it. This e-mail and attachments (if any) transmitted with it are confidential and/or privileged and solely for the use of the intended person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. It is the responsibility of the recipient to run the virus check on e-mails and attachments before opening them. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly delete this e-mail from desktop and server.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Blog post is live:

AW: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
+1

Cause we need to show the world that there are good third party (commercial) components too ...

Chris

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Srinivas on what version of OSX did you try your app ? Also 10.9.5 ?

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex Committer
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks  Srinivas it is precious information that is also working for you! :)

No I didn't contact with adobe, just tried release version. So you have to
work with debug version in another browser and have hope it will be working
the same in release version on Safari.

If they adobe respond just let me know.

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex Committer
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Srinivas Sandur Madhu Murthy <s....@me.com>.
I have contacted both still waiting on reply for the same.

Thanks
Srinivas

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Vulcansoft <mi...@vulcansoft.com>.

Posted by Srinivas Sandur Madhu Murthy <s....@me.com>.

Posted by Vulcansoft <mi...@vulcansoft.com>.
Piotr,

Posted by Vulcansoft <mi...@vulcansoft.com>.
I already filed a bug report with Apple ( http://www.apple.com/feedback ). But it would
probably help if more people file this bug. Well, at least I hope it’s a bug and not the
next Apple attack on FlashPlayer …

Thanks.
Christian

Posted by Srinivas Sandur Madhu Murthy <s....@me.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Flexicious Dashboard Framework:
> ​​
> Example link:
> http://www.flexicious.com/resources/dashboard30/componentsample.html

Give this is more of a dashboard explorer than small discrete examples perhaps the showcase is a good place for it? Of course I don't see why something can't be in both places. May required slightly different content in both places.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>  They had asked for a link to the actual component demo, and one link for the source tab,
We didn't get Adobe's published version of the explorer so had to make a few changes. However the new explorer can support that.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by "Flexicious.com" <fl...@gmail.com>.
Just wanted to chime in since we went through this with folks at Adobe to
get our stuff listed anyway. What we gave them was a link to the component
hosted off our site, and I believe they had flex-iframe or something
similar load up the content. They had asked for a link to the actual
component demo, and one link for the source tab, so for example, under
third party we had a few of our products listed:

Flexicious Dashboard Framework:
​​

Example link:
http://www.flexicious.com/resources/dashboard30/componentsample.html

Source Link:
http://www.flexicious.com/resources/dashboard30/srcview/index.html

Flexicious Ultimate DataGrid:

Example Link : http://www.flexicious.com/resources/Ultimate/TreeGrid.html

Source Link :
http://www.flexicious.com/resources/Ultimate/srcview/index.html

Flexicious Classic DataGrid(s):

Example Link: http://www.flexicious.com/resources/Flex4/Main.html

Source Link: http://www.flexicious.com/resources/Flex4/srcview/index.html

​

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Apache has been conservative about looking like it is promoting
> for-profits so we have to be careful, but if nobody else objects I'm fine
> with it.
I believe we need to be careful and not be seen as directly endorsing any 3rd party but I think it should posisble be able to do that.

> Well, we may not want explorer.xml in the git repo to list these
> third-party examples, but the one on the site (or compiled into the one on
> the site) could.
Then how do we merge new releases of TourDeFlex? I'd really prefer if they are in sync to make a release managers job / updating easier.

> Can do that too, but then there is increased risk of failure of that
> external url stops working.
If an external links break (and it's marked as external) and i'st looks bad for the 3rd party not us. Having one or two non function examples is also not the end of the world IMO.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Could we add another section just for the third party examples?

We intend to,  see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34501

But like everything we need content and people to do the work.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Could we add another section just for the third party examples?

> Apache has been conservative about looking like it is promoting
for-profits so we have to be careful, but if nobody else objects I'm fine
with it.

-Mark

>> >That is, assuming that a 3rd party component developer has a freely
>> >available download that we could use.  It is not a very likely
>>scenario.
>> Maybe we need concrete examples.  If your component isn't freely
>> available, maybe the app that exhibits it should be in the showcase?
>>

>Do you mean 'should not'?
I meant "should".  If you won't disclose the source code, that app is a
better fit for the showcase than the explorer with its source views.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 8/25/14 4:19 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>scenario.
> >> Maybe we need concrete examples.  If your component isn't freely
> >> available, maybe the app that exhibits it should be in the showcase?
> >>

> >Do you mean 'should not'?
> I meant "should".  If you won't disclose the source code, that app is a
> better fit for the showcase than the explorer with its source views.

Oh, you mean the Flex Showcase.  But that is for production released apps
and they don't contain examples and code.  I can build a component on top
of Flex, and publish a list of example code snippets on how to use the
component.  There should a be a pace in TourDeFlex for this.

> >> Or are you talking about components that aren't free?  Good question if
> >> for-pay components are a good fit for Apache TDF.
> >>

> >We need to support free and non-free component developers.  Otherwise we
> >will never see enterprise components in the wild.  That is one of the
> >reasons we don't have a good public showcase in spite of great apps being
> >built on top of Apache Flex.
> Apache has been conservative about looking like it is promoting
> for-profits so we have to be careful, but if nobody else objects I'm fine
> with it.

I really hope no one objects to this.  Flex is nothing without support from
enterprise companies and 3rd party developers.

> >> And, if we get clearance from the Incubator to make changes to our
> >>version
> >> of TDF on our site, then we could add them to the site version but not
> >>the
> >> Apache version.
> >>

> >Please elaborate.  I am not sure what the difference is.
> Well, we may not want explorer.xml in the git repo to list these
> third-party examples, but the one on the site (or compiled into the one on
> the site) could.

Ah okay.  I think we need to split that up at some point.

> >Finally, why can't we just hotlink if the 3rd party folks are okay with
> >it?
> Can do that too, but then there is increased risk of failure of that
> external url stops working.

You run that risk even if you try to download the dependencies during
building.  At least with this option, we will have a lot more eyes making
it easier to catch and fix issues.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> AIUI, as long as we can build TDF by downloading third-party SWCs as part
> of the build process it doesn't even have to be compatibly-licensed.

That is, assuming that a 3rd party component developer has a freely
available download that we could use.  It is not a very likely scenario.

> We
> might have to note such content in the README or in the UI.  But you are
> right that it adds complexity.
>
> In the SDK, Adobe font libraries are downloaded because font embedding is
> an optional feature.  I would argue that a 3rd party sample is also an
> optional feature of TDF.

Adobe has decided to make it freely available.  Other 3rd party developers
may choose not to, but still want to showcase the component because it is
still technically built on top of Flex.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
AIUI, as long as we can build TDF by downloading third-party SWCs as part
of the build process it doesn't even have to be compatibly-licensed.  We

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Ah, I might have misunderstood the question.  The samples you linked to
use 3rd party components, but I didn't find any evidence they were written
by non-Adobe folks so they were donated.  If that turns out not to be the
case, and folks can verify that these were not written by Adobe folks, we
need to find the author and get permission.

Other content was actually written by non-Adobe folks.  Identifying
copyrights were found and those examples were removed from the donation.

-Alex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Unless it is a truly elaborate example, I would argue that attaching to a
> JIRA is sufficient, instead of having to go through an entire grant
> process?
Sounds fine by me.

Justin

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
The third parties have to separately donate their examples.  Adobe did not
have the right to donate, and I decided to just get this in instead of
chasing folks down.  I still don't want to take the time to chase folks
down, but if they are still following us on this list, hopefully they will
speak up and donate their code.

Posted by "Flexicious.com" <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Thanks, I presume Justin will not view this as a code change requiring a
> new RC.
You presume correctly. Thanks Om.

Justin

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Flex TourDeFlex 1.0

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.