Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/08/01 07:33:45 UTC

Re: GSOC2013 - Mid-term evaluations

Many thanks, Bhargav.

As I said to Dimuthu, please now make sure your github repo is up to date
with what you've demonstrated.  We spent some time screensharing yesterday
eve, and I noticed then that the workspace on your c:\ drive where you make
your edits doesn't seem to be the same as your local copy of your github
repo.  Presumably in the past you've been copying from one to the other?
 You'll find it much easier to just edit in your workspace...

Also, do spend a bit of timing getting your product backlog updated,
refining it to those that you think should be achievable in the remaining
weeks.  In your youtube video you mentioned about incorporating AngularJS.
 Both Maurizio and I are a little uncertain about this ... retrofitting
Angular will probably require you to junk everything you've done to date.
 It might be better to just keep working with the UI frameworks that you've
already been using.

Thx
Dan

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 1 August 2013 20:00, Bhargav Golla <bh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Dan Haywood <dan@haywood-associates.co.uk
> > wrote:
>
>> Many thanks, Bhargav.
>>
>> As I said to Dimuthu, please now make sure your github repo is up to date
>> with what you've demonstrated.  We spent some time screensharing yesterday
>> eve, and I noticed then that the workspace on your c:\ drive where you make
>> your edits doesn't seem to be the same as your local copy of your github
>> repo.  Presumably in the past you've been copying from one to the other?
>>  You'll find it much easier to just edit in your workspace...
>>
> Yes. I have been having my webapp code at one place and used to copy it to
> my GitHub local repo and commit. SInce softlinking wasn't really an option,
> I started doing this way. Could you explain how I can do the way you are
> suggesting?

Sure.  Here's what I do.

I use c:\github as my root of all github repos, and have subdirectories
underneath.  For example:
c:\github\apache\isis
c:\github\bhargavgolla\isisJavaScript

I find it easiest to use the git command line to do the "git clone"
command; you can launch a shell from the "git for windows" gui client.
 Using Windows Explorer you can then register these repos with "git for
windows" by dragging-and-dropping.

In your isisJavascript repo, I would refactor it by checking in the myapp/
directory that you work on.  You should probably set up a .gitignore file
at the root to ignore unimportant stuff; grab the one from Isis [1].

In Eclipse, start a brand new workspace, and then use File > Import to (a)
import the Isis modules from c:\github\apache\isis, and (b) import your
myapp project from c:\github\bhargavgolla\isisJavascript.  Eclipse is quite
happy for these projects to come from different locations on your
directory.  m2e will automatically set up the classpaths correctly.

You will need to set up DN for the newly imported myapp/dom project; as
you'll remember the details are on the Isis website as to how to do this [2]

You can then code away, and whenever you want to do a commit, just switch
back to the git cmd line or to "git for windows".

>> Also, do spend a bit of timing getting your product backlog updated,
>> refining it to those that you think should be achievable in the remaining
>> weeks.  In your youtube video you mentioned about incorporating AngularJS.
>>  Both Maurizio and I are a little uncertain about this ... retrofitting
>> Angular will probably require you to junk everything you've done to date.
>>  It might be better to just keep working with the UI frameworks that you've
>> already been using.
>>
> Though I haven't used AngularJS before, the sole reason why I brought it
> up was because for a robust viewer, we can't rely on DOM manipulation alone
> like what I am doing currently. I got the idea of using a framework only
> after you brought up templating issue sometime last month.
>
> I have been doing a lot of research as to how using a framework will make
> an app easily scalable. Then I referred to the code on Spiro. From what I
> see, my current development will hit a barrier when I go deep with DOM
> manipulation alone. It would make the viewer better only if I separate UI
> and logic out. So, I think using a framework to do this job is better. And,
> I don't think my code will go into trash altogether. I have ensured that I
> wrote modular code wherever possible so that I can reuse it in case I need
> to change framework. Since AngularJS allows usage of jQuery, I can reuse
> most of my code.
>
> What are your thoughts on this?

I can't really claim to be much of an expert with Javascript frameworks,
and don't really know AngularJS at all (though I do know what it is for,
broadly).  So my remarks are just really to do with the risk of such a
refactoring while half way through.  The risk is that you start with this
new framework, get bogged down, and end up at the end of the program with
very little more to show than what you currently have working.  All us old
hands have "been there done that".

But, look, I'm happy for you to go ahead, if you've done some research, and
you reckon you understand how AngularJS works.  There is a risk in so
doing, but no kittens will get killed.  And of course all the learning that
you've done to date about the RO restful api is all still valid.

Was it your plan to base this refactoring also on Spiro[3], with its own
AngularJS integration [4]?  I keep mentioning it, and from a quick poke
around the codebase and a quick gtalk exchange with Stef (Cascarini,
Spiro's author), I've learnt that the view templates live in [5].  So, you
see, this Javascript app of yours could end up as taking Stef's codebase
[4], changing the view templates [5] to use JQueryMobile stylings, then
wrapping it up in PhoneGap.   Then, you might even have the time to help me
do the work to fix up any issues/incompatibilities between the .Net and
Isis implementations of the RO API.

Maurizio... do you have anything to add?  Perhaps you might - with a much
more expert eye than mine - look at Spiro/AngularJS, if you have the time,
and assess whether it's viable for Bhargav to get to grips with.

Thx
Dan

[1] https://github.com/apache/isis/blob/master/.gitignore
[2]