Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com> on 2019/02/21 14:29:15 UTC

VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Hi Guys,

We have a really simple app which takes Piotr and Olaf less than half a minute to compile using VSCode. The same app takes me somewhere between 2.5 and 5 minutes.

Can you round up the usual suspects? My computer isn’t slower than theirs and until recently we’ve been using the same java version. We’re all using windows.

Any help appreciated.

Re: VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
While investigating this issue I accidentally filed a bin folder (which
contains a build) within the source path.
This throws an error like "...not found on source path, using parent
file..." and delayed the build process for a significant couple of seconds.
After removing this accidentally created bin folder, the build time was back
to normal.

I would just like to mention this, maybe it is helpful for others.

Olaf

--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I found that hard to read, but I think I see on line 657 that js-output is set to "." and that makes me wonder if the compiler will then choose whatever the working directory is at the time it is launched.  If that working directory is changed by VSCode to be the last output directory (maybe to launch the results in a browser), that might cause the compiler to nest the next output in that output directory and cause the observed results.

HTH,
-Alex

On 2/27/19, 12:04 AM, "Olaf Krueger" <ma...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

    Hi Alex,

    >Right. The goal was to see what output options were actually being received
    by the compiler in order to understand how those options could be causing
    the compiler to generate nested output folders.  I'm curious to know if the
    js options are in the dump file.  Can't tell since you cut them out.

    Sorry, I misunderstood this.
    But I am still not sure what do you mean with "js options".
    I've created a gist which contains the entire dump [1].
    Maybe you can find some time to look at it?

    Thanks!
    Olaf

    [1] https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgist.github.com%2Folafkrueger%2F8e045b33cae493deb56b38f9430afa14&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C114a62222a504a5999b408d69c8a271a%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636868514618842104&amp;sdata=c8MjMvPC747ooXKaXZ9Pp0%2BhZZBtZwOUnbeT6HeP1n0%3D&amp;reserved=0

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C114a62222a504a5999b408d69c8a271a%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636868514618842104&amp;sdata=D0xylr0g6bUUVGpbUYFnwL%2BNe0I4oAM57FpmlowEuS0%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Alex,

[1] https://gist.github.com/olafkrueger/8e045b33cae493deb56b38f9430afa14

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

On 2/26/19, 1:27 AM, "Olaf Krueger" <ma...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

    > See if the -dump-config=<path to a file that will contain the dump> works
    for JS.  Not sure if it does, but it might help.

    Creating a dump file works, but it seems to me that it rather contains a
    config than errors which occur during the build [1].

    [1]
    <royale-config>

       <compiler>

          <accessible>true</accessible>

          <allow-source-path-overlap>false</allow-source-path-overlap>
          <allow-subclass-overrides>true</allow-subclass-overrides>

          <as3>true</as3>
    </royale-config>

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cd663286bc8674d64a8a708d69bcc9076%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636867700241421148&amp;sdata=5ndAmUl48UbGlUxf8XjATSeD102Z6hqBwKoPNezHi6c%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

On 2/25/19, 1:28 AM, "Olaf Krueger" <ma...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

    > What happen if you put in js-output - real path instead "." - one dot ?

    Same behavior!

    Does that mean that you can't reproduce this issue at your side?

    Olaf

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C4c1ba8674d6f4de6fe9808d69b0393c9%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636866837023602359&amp;sdata=pjWV8chaPOczELCorn6rg32IO4zQCvWu2TfwYjELRgY%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olaf,

Exactly. I have in Moonshine exact path:

-js-output=D:\Work\projects\client\myapp

And it doesn't occur.

Thanks,
Piotr

pon., 25 lut 2019 o 10:28 Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net> napisał(a):

> > What happen if you put in js-output - real path instead "." - one dot ?
>
> Same behavior!
>
> Does that mean that you can't reproduce this issue at your side?
>
> Olaf
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
But it still created nested folders n deep.

________________________________
Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
I think what’s causing the problem is js-output folder is recursively created deeper and deeper [1]. Any idea why? This is our asconfig.json

{

    "config": "royale",

    "compilerOptions": {

        "debug": true,

        "targets": ["JSRoyale"],

        "source-map": true,

        "html-template": "src/resources/forms-index-template.html",

        "theme": "${royalelib}/themes/JewelTheme/src/main/resources/defaults.css",

        "output": ".",

        "source-path": [

            "src",

            "../../libs/vendor/puremvc-as3-multicore-framework/src"

        ]

    },

    "copySourcePathAssets": true,

    "additionalOptions": "-js-dynamic-access-unknown-members=true",

    "files":

    [

        "src/com/edscha/ebaseforms/shell/view/royale/Shell.mxml"

    ]

[1] https://paste.apache.org/sdgg

________________________________

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@apache.org>.
Hey Piotr,

I'm moving this VSCode discussion about the ConcurrentModificationException here:

https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-as3mxml/issues/332

- Josh

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: VSCode Build Taking Really Long

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@apache.org>.
Piotr,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Josh,

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yishay,

Try exercise with running build trough Windows CMD to see what's the timing.

Thanks,
Piotr

--

Piotr Zarzycki