Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/04 15:45:54 UTC

Commons Config 2

Hi,

Probably more important than config subsystems in JSR 107 or Log4J 2
(though it altogether got a really good rewrite making any effort for a
"Logging JSR" by some people almost pointless;-) seems a massive redesign
and recent activity of Apache Commons Logging 2:
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-configuration/index.html

Anybody had a look at that?

Apache certainly has a very multicultural ecosystem, look at Struts vs.
OpenFaces vs. Wicket vs. Tapestry and who knows how many (Web MVC) projects
all exist, so why not have at least 2 or 3 for configuration.

Something noteworthy is, that Commons Configuration 2 refrains from any
static factory.
Even a class sounding like it was static such as Configurations (in a new
"fluent" package) works like this:
 Configurations configurations = new Configurations();
PropertiesConfiguration config = configurations.properties(new File(
         "config.properties"));

Werner

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps part of this discussion will solve itself. If we turn the
PropertyProviders singleton into a builder, we will only have static
constructors, but still details hidden. Looks like a double win...

--
*Anatole Tresch*
Java Engineer & Architect, JSR Spec Lead

*Switzerland, Europe Zurich, GMT+1*
*Twitter:  @atsticks*
*Blogs: **http://javaremarkables.blogspot.ch/
<http://javaremarkables.blogspot.ch/>*

*Google: atsticksMobile  +41-76 344 62 79*

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver

this is no abuse. It is simply the way to design things when you are on SE
level. Testability is only then an issue, if the implementation is
hardcoded, which is not the case, if you have a good SPI behind it! And
last comparing static accessors with unnecessary dependencies the second
one are worse!

Cheers,
Anatole

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Inline...

> >About stage: we have enough stage outside tje config to use it without
> What do you mean here, the totally inadequate ProjectStage enum in JSF?;-)
>
> IMHO at least the notion of Environment should be present, otherwise
> multi-tenancy or "Cloud" support that Java EE keeps babbling about ever
> since at least EE 7 will remain the same joke and empty phrase in Tamaya as
> it does there (or in the PR of most large companies including Oracle;-D)

​+1 If you just try to boil down things down to the what already is present
in Apache commons et al, this project
is not needed actually.​..

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Some of this was probably best sketched in a Wiki, etc. I did not go into
such detail btw.
Just mention on a very broad range that Commons Config even V2 had little
multi-tenancy aspects which AFAIK we try to cover (whichever way;-)

Regards,
Werner

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Gerhard Petracek <gerhard.petracek@gmail.com

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@werner:

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
And "rush", what rush?

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
I also want to add some aspects to commons-config, just to compare also the
design fundamentals that in some aspects are different (nevertheless if I
am wrong let me know, I do not know it very deeply):

1) commons-config2, similar to 1 requires explicit know how on the classes
that implement a behaviour. So you create hard implementation dependencies
e.g. for aggregations you have to write new ConfigurationCombiner(...). Of
course, you may have a common interface, which models the common behaviour.
But as a consequence you make your API footprint bigger than necessary,
especially when you have multiple common use cases. Compared to that
providing default implementations using static factory methods reduces this
dependency since you only have one dep to the singleton, instead of - lets
say - ten. Therefore static accessors are not always a bad thing and
therefore I consider this part of the API not well designed. This gets even
worse with the ability to parametrize behaviour in Java 8.
2) Regarding mutability they guys there follow, compared to version 1, a
similar approach that I also suggested with the ChangeSet mechanism ;) But
still many aspects are not thread-safe, which for an EE environment is a
showstopper.
3) the missing environment and static accessors similar to
Configuration.current() make the API for me more a library than a solution.
The missing environment model for me is a showstopper for all complex
environments because everyone has to think/implement on these (not easy)
aspects again. If you build something on top of CDI, you have scopes. On
top of SE you basically have nothing (maybe classloaders). Considering
configuration as a concept that affects everything within a runtime stack,
an environment model seems to me a crucial abstraction for identifying the
current runtime context, and a precondition to determine the configuration
matching this runtime and therefore implementing the convenience of relying
the configuration framework to provide the right configuration for each
runtime context..
4) The good thing: they have really plenty support for low level stuff.
Formats etc.

-A

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Where do you get that?

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Gerhard Petracek <gerhard.petracek@gmail.com

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@werner:

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Gerhard Petracek <gerhard.petracek@gmail.com

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@werner:

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
BTW looking at my last mail about Stage: please stop modelling stage to be
defined as System property, simply not flexible enough...

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
DeltaSpike yes: http://deltaspike.apache.org/documentation/projectstage.html

However if the idea is that an API shall be reusable, then most of what
e.g. "deltaspike.api.projectstage" defines should be done so in Tamaya;-)

Whether or not we provide Environment for an initial release, could sure be
discussed. It's there in the current codebase. And almost every large
Global 100 or 500 company will need something like it. For smaller
single-container or product based companies it may be an overhead. Depends
on which you want to support...

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
We can certainly omit Stage as abstraction and just let it be modeled as
property on the Environment. This also would enable us to have different
applications running on the same server (SaaS) scenario having run in
different stages in parallel (since we can model the SaaS Environment
accordingly ;) ).

Re: Commons Config 2

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons Config 2