Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Erik Forsberg <fo...@opera.com> on 2012/01/09 08:18:49 UTC

Can I use BulkOutputFormat from 1.1 to load data to older Cassandra versions?

Hi!

Can the new BulkOutputFormat
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3045) be used to load
data to servers running cassandra 0.8.7 and/or Cassandra 1.0.6?

I'm thinking of using jar files from the development version to load
data onto a production cluster which I want to keep on a production
version of Cassandra. Can I do that, or does BulkOutputFormat require an
API level that is only in the development version of Cassandra?

Thanks,
\EF

Re: Can I use BulkOutputFormat from 1.1 to load data to older Cassandra versions?

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Erik Forsberg <fo...@opera.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Can the new BulkOutputFormat
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3045) be used to load data
> to servers running cassandra 0.8.7 and/or Cassandra 1.0.6?
>
> I'm thinking of using jar files from the development version to load data
> onto a production cluster which I want to keep on a production version of
> Cassandra. Can I do that, or does BulkOutputFormat require an API level that
> is only in the development version of Cassandra?

Unfortunately BOF wants to stream the output files into the cluster,
which required streaming changes, so this won't work.  If you hacked
this part out, and then generated the sstables with 1.0, you could
then use the bulkloader to stream them and that should work.

-Brandon