Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/12 04:08:45 UTC

JDK 5 needed for Performing a Maven Project Release?

http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html
says "you have JDK 5 installed and on your shell's path."

I was about to try out the new laptop, which is a Macbook Air, and the
is the first time I've used a Mac.
It comes with JDK 6.

Are we happy that compiler options will correctly build JDK 5 classes?
(Things like http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#isEmpty%28%29
break binary backwards compatibility.)

Or do I need to work out how to install JDK 5?

Re: JDK 5 needed for Performing a Maven Project Release?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 12/01/2012, at 2:08 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html
> says "you have JDK 5 installed and on your shell's path."

it should probably say "or above"...

> I was about to try out the new laptop, which is a Macbook Air, and the
> is the first time I've used a Mac.
> It comes with JDK 6.
>
> Are we happy that compiler options will correctly build JDK 5 classes?

Yep, as long as you used the right things, as you note next:

> (Things like http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#isEmpty%28%29
> break binary backwards compatibility.)
>
> Or do I need to work out how to install JDK 5?

Maven 3 has the animal sniffer plugin set up in its build - maybe that could be pushed up to the parent. I think Jenkins runs all the plugins under JDK 5 so you could check that's building fine first too.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: JDK 5 needed for Performing a Maven Project Release?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html
> says "you have JDK 5 installed and on your shell's path."
>
> I was about to try out the new laptop, which is a Macbook Air, and the
> is the first time I've used a Mac.
> It comes with JDK 6.
>
> Are we happy that compiler options will correctly build JDK 5 classes?
> (Things like http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#isEmpty%28%29
> break binary backwards compatibility.)

I don't know of any reliable way to install 5 on a recent mac, and
I've released about 10 things on my mac in the last year using 1.6.

I'm perfectly happy the JVM version options -- it's the library
functions that could get us. That (as Brett points out) is where the
animal sniffer comes in -- or building with 1.7, which has stronger
options for library compat than 1.5.