Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2017/09/12 01:01:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Name of the FlexJS Fork

Hi -

In discussions on the Board and Private list about the proposal voted on a few weeks ago to fork FlexJS it was pointed out that it would good to discuss if a new name should be attached to the forked project.

There are one or two propositions to discuss.

(1) FlexJS - is this distinct enough and will the historical connection to Adobe/Apache Flex and Flash help or hinder the forked project’s future?

Please provide arguments in any direction.

(2) If a change is the outcome then we need to discuss and accumulate reasonable names. Determine what is suitable by checking for other uses of these names. If there are multiple choices available then we should vote.

A discussion of possible names can go in parallel to the discussion about keeping FlexJS.

This discussion needs to proceed quickly if we want to have an open process in advance of the next ASF Board meeting.

Regards,
Dave

Re: [DISCUSS] Name of the FlexJS Fork

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
For an Apache project, I think FlexJS would be the best name.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Name of the FlexJS Fork

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
I got several questions like Harbs mention and people instantly know what
is going on when I said them that is the new framework right after Flex.

Piotr

--

Piotr Zarzycki

mobile: +48 880 859 557
skype: zarzycki10

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/piotrzarzycki
<https://pl.linkedin.com/in/piotr-zarzycki-92a53552>

Re: [DISCUSS] Name of the FlexJS Fork

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

> Do you have examples of Apache Flex or FlexJS getting bad press? It would
> make your argument more persuasive.

There's nothing published. I'm talking about customer meetings where you
expose that you can use "Flex" and your potential customer looks to you
with poker face since "Flex" is now considered an old technology from 2008.
The fact is almost all Flex developers had to switch to HTML and there's
almost no projects in Flex done today.

> > In the other hand, we should look at our competitors : Angular, React,
> Vue,
> > Dart,... it's all marketing: the name, the website, if we don't play well
> > our cards, don't expect to have a widely used technology
>
> You mean like Beads, Bend or Strands?

Yes, I proposed in other thread ROYALE or CROWN as good candidates for its
various implications in the strand/beads concept (crown with jewels as an
icon) and for the old relationship with the first flex codename at
macromedia (that was in fact Royale)

I'll be more happy to go with a name, icon, website done that would express
our ideas in a modern, clean and beautiful way.

> > In the other hand I can live with old "FlexJS" name, if people does not
> > want a change, but these means to me that FlexJS will hardly get
> considered
> > in the mainstream.
> >
> > Just my 2
>
> More than that ;-)

Thanks

Carlos

Re: [DISCUSS] Name of the FlexJS Fork

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Carlos.

> On Sep 12, 2017, at 5:39 AM, Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, just see this now, but I responded in the other thread. copying
> response:
>
> Regarding name, I would prefer a name change since the suffix "JS" is not
> reflecting the real potential of this project. If we want to output JS
> exclusively, I think it would be ok.
>
> In the other hand, "Flex" name has very bad press in IT and companies. If
> you put the word "Flex", you can have many problems with your work and
> credibility with the people you talk.

Do you have examples of Apache Flex or FlexJS getting bad press? It would make your argument more persuasive.

> In the other hand, we should look at our competitors : Angular, React, Vue,
> Dart,... it's all marketing: the name, the website, if we don't play well
> our cards, don't expect to have a widely used technology

You mean like Beads, Bend or Strands?

> In the other hand I can live with old "FlexJS" name, if people does not
> want a change, but these means to me that FlexJS will hardly get considered
> in the mainstream.
>
> Just my 2

More than that ;-)

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Martin <ch...@outlook.com>.
Hey team,

I feel that FlexJS is the right name for the same reasons mentioned by other team members thus far.

Key one is that we’ve got the next 3 years to capitalize on the “Flex” name for users to see a possible migration path. I feel that keeping this name will make it easier for Developers who are being asked to migrate an Apache Flex web app to find our project.

Chris

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
I prefer a name change away from FlexJS.

I would like to concentrate more on getting new developers to the fold as
opposed concentrating on existing Flex developers.

The term FlexXX has a dated feel to it.  Maybe a new name will get folks to
check it out at which point they will feel like sticking to it.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Good point from Yishay :) i also really like Boja or Bend.

Thanks,
Piotr

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Royale sounds too much like Pulp Fiction...

    I do like the idea of the project and frameworks have similar names.  Although I don't mind either way.  If it's like having a make and a model, I would consider Apache more of the Make field and the Model being the SDK/framework which skips our project name all together.

    In our environment they hear the framework name, but do not know what it means, they simply just see the end result of the products we produce.  We are judged on what our target application looks, feels, and functions like.  Once we get rid of the Flash dependency, the only negative perception will go away.  So the ultimate framework just needs to have professional name and website.

Selling the concept of the framework is rated for us in three main aspects.

1.  Longevity; knowing it will be around a long time.

2.  Consistency that the structure, classes, and properties that we end up using won't be constantly changing (adding to is fine).

3.  Activity on the project showing its alive and well.

-Mark K

Re: [DISCUSS] Name of the FlexJS Fork

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I just heard back from Adobe Branding.  They confirmed they do not own a
trademark for Royale and they don't care if we use it.

Thanks,
-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/royale?s=t

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Like these two names - Roy-Al

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Another idea to get out the naming dilemma could be to find a name for the
new project that still contains 'flex' but don't let you think of flex when
you read it the first time, e.g.:

Inflexion
Flexor
Flexure

Just a Scrabble exercise... ;-)

So people might be less confused if they find the word 'flex' in the
codebase.
Maybe current users and as well new users feel comfortable with such a name.

Just a thought...

Olaf

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Could we try to summarize all name proposals in order to build a single post
that contains all candidates (project names) before voting?
I think it's not so easy to extract all naming ideas from the different
threads/posts, I just remember a few.
What do you think of just creating a list of previous proposals and new ones

- Royale
- Bend
- ...

Thanks,
Olaf

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Harbs,

Agree to start another vote simultaneously. We have gathered proposition in
this email chain, if you could get all of them. VOTE could look like that:

+1 (Name from the list)
+1 (My proposition)

Does this sound ok ?

I'm looking into the code what would be the impact changing all the
resources to get rid of Flex name. - It look so far as an big amount of
work. The question is - Are we have to do this if the product name will
stay as FlexJS ?

Piotr

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I agree.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
I'm willing to change my VOTE to Yes if there will be no help from Carlos
if we will have Project Name: Royale, but ship product name: FlexJS. Sorry
but we really have to have real help if it is even going to happen.

Thanks,
Piotr

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.