Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com> on 2020/09/15 14:51:47 UTC

Release Announcement: General Availability of Java 15 / JDK 15

Hi Uwe & Dawid,

**Release Announcement: General Availability of Java 15 / JDK 15 [1]
**

  * JDK 15, the reference implementation of Java 15, is now Generally
    Available.
  * GPL-licensed OpenJDK builds from Oracle are available here:
    http://jdk.java.net/15/
  * JDK 15 Release notes
    <https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/15-relnote-issues.html>

JDK 15 includes fourteen features [2]:

  * JEP 339: Edwards-Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (EdDSA)
    <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/339>
  * JEP 360: Sealed Classes (Preview) <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/360>
  * JEP 371: Hidden Classes <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/371>
  * JEP 372: Remove the Nashorn JavaScript Engine
    <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/372>
  * JEP 373: Reimplement the Legacy DatagramSocket API
    <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/373>
  * JEP 374: Disable and Deprecate Biased Locking
    <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/374>
  * JEP 375: Pattern Matching for instanceof (Second Preview)
    <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/375>
  * JEP 377: ZGC: A Scalable Low-Latency Garbage Collector
    <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/377>
  * JEP 378: Text Blocks <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/378>
  * JEP 379: Shenandoah: A Low-Pause-Time Garbage Collector
    <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/379>
  * JEP 381: Remove the Solaris and SPARC Ports
    <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/381>
  * JEP 383: Foreign-Memory Access API (Second Incubator)
    <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/383>
  * JEP 384: Records (Second Preview) <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/384>
  * JEP 385: Deprecate RMI Activation for Removal
    <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/385>

Thanks to everyone who contributed to JDK 15, whether by creating
features or enhancements, logging  bugs, or downloading and testing the
early-access builds.

OpenJDK 16 Early Access build 15**is now available at http://jdk.java.net/16

  * JEPs integrated to JDK 16:
      o JEP 347: Enable C++14 Language Features
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/347>
      o JEP 357: Migrate from Mercurial to Git
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/357>
      o JEP 369: Migrate to GitHub <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/369>

  * Release Notes are available at http://jdk.java.net/16/release-notes

**

  * Significant changes since the last availability email:
      o Build 15
          + JDK-8244090: public lookup should find public members of
            public exported types (Reported by Eclipse Jetty)
          + JDK-8250968: Symlinks attributes not preserved when using
            jarsigner on zip files
      o Build 14
          + JDK-8189744: Deprecate the JDK-specific API for setting
            socket options, jdk.net.Sockets
          + JDK-8241003: Deprecate "denigrated" java.security.cert APIs
            that represent DNs as Principal or String objects
          + JDK-8245462: The default HttpClient implementation returns
            cancelable futures

*__*
Rgds,Rory

[1]
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2020-September/004733.html
[2] https://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/15/
--

Rgds, Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager

Re: Release Announcement: General Availability of Java 15 / JDK 15

Posted by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Uwe,

On 15/09/2020 16:30, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi Rory,
>
> I will reconfigure the Jenkins server to use those new builds (or
> better I will rename the folders of the RC build, so it’s handled as
> the final build). I will also enable 16-EA builds, I had no time to do
> this yet.

Great , thanks.

> One question about the features: Is Shenanndoah included or not (in
> Oracle builds)? The list of features mentions it, but Oracle always
> excluded it from their builds.

That is correct, it is not included in our builds.

Rgds,Rory