Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/10 09:52:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] release Ivy 2.0.0-beta2?

Hi,

We have made good progress on Ivy trunk, and I think it's close to be a good
time to release 2.0.0 beta 2. So, do you see anything blocking before
cutting this release? Anything you would like to see in? Any pending change
that would deserve to wait?

IMHO, this beta should be the last beta before a cycle of release
candidates. So I'd like us to focus on bug fix (and we have a pretty good
list assigned to 2.0) after this beta (probably with some small features or
improvements, like a maven2 resolver I suggested recently).

So, what do you think?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] release Ivy 2.0.0-beta2?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 13, 2008 9:03 AM, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's true that we have quiet a lot of issues already solved, and the
> previous release was 2 months ago.  So it's indeed a good time for a new
> release.
>
> But I'm currently busy on IVY-637 [1] and rewritting the pom parser using
> dom instead of using the current sax parser.
> I would like to see that included in the beta 2, but it will probably take
> at least one week for me to finish.  I guess we can wait a little bit?

I'm ok to wait for this rewrite, I agree it'll be better to see it included
in beta 2.

Xavier

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gilles Scokart

Re: [DISCUSS] release Ivy 2.0.0-beta2?

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.
Xavier Hanin wrote:

> The cache element under the caches element is parsed automatically using
> the
> same logic as Ant tasks, using the Configurator class. At the beginning of
> the XmlSettingsParser class you have an array of configuration elements,
> including caches, which tells Ivy should auto configure the children. Then
> there'sa typdef.properties making the mapping between the "cache" element
> name and the DefaultRepositoryCacheManager class. But I suggest putting a
> breakpoint in the setName of this class and run a unit test doing some
> settings loading with cache related information, you'll better see what's
> happening.

Oh, I see now. It's a bit like Spring beans defined in xml.
I wonder why not all elements are parsed/configured in the same way. The
behavior is different too, e.g. undocumented attributes on the "caches"
element are ignored, but on the "cache" element they cause various errors.
<cache settings="your dog"/> is particularly interesting.
Anyway, thanks and sorry for the confusion :)

Adrian

Re: [DISCUSS] release Ivy 2.0.0-beta2?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>
> > > Would you like me to work on it? Or add a comment to IVY-399?
> >
> > I think we have a little less than a week before we cut the beta2. If
> you
> > can do the job (code, reference doc and junit changes) in this
> timeframe,
> > it's more than welcome!
>

> Well, I'm working on it. I plan to move *ALL* the cache-related attributes
> to the "caches" element (but I'm still keeping the 1.x ones as
> deprecated),
> let me know if there's any problem.
> Anyway, I noticed that the "cache" element is wonderfully documented,
> but..
> is completely missing from the code! If I'm wrong, could you show me where
> it's getting parsed?

The cache element under the caches element is parsed automatically using the
same logic as Ant tasks, using the Configurator class. At the beginning of
the XmlSettingsParser class you have an array of configuration elements,
including caches, which tells Ivy should auto configure the children. Then
there'sa typdef.properties making the mapping between the "cache" element
name and the DefaultRepositoryCacheManager class. But I suggest putting a
breakpoint in the setName of this class and run a unit test doing some
settings loading with cache related information, you'll better see what's
happening.

HTH,

Xavier

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, no volunteer, so I step in.

Xavier

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Xavier Hanin wrote:
> >> I also agree. But could you put a new build at
> >> http://www.xoocode.org/downloads/tools/ soon after Ivy 2 is released?
> >>

> > When we'll release Ivy 2 final we'll also release IvyDE. But I'll put a
> > build at xoocode tools soon after the release of Ivy 2 beta 2.
> >
> > Xavier
> >
> Yeah, I meant beta 2. Ok, that's cool.
> Waiting for Ivy then (and my patch) :)
> Oh btw, it would be nice to add a link to downloads/tools on the xoocode
> front page. Unless it has "protected" scope.

I don't know if I can do that... These builds are initially done for use on
the project developped @ xoocode.org only. I don't really want to advertise
that too much, since it's unofficial,  not supported by the ASF, and I don't
even know how legal it is.

Xavier

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@anyware-tech.com>.

--
Nicolas LALEVÉE
ANYWARE TECHNOLOGIES

Re: [DISCUSS] release Ivy 2.0.0-beta2?

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gilles Scokart

Re: [DISCUSS] release Ivy 2.0.0-beta2?

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>
> > > So, if I understand correctly, right now settings/defaultCache is the
> > > default for both resolution and repository cache;
> > > settings/resolutionCacheDir overrides it for resolution,
> caches/basedir
> > > overrides it for repository, and cache/basedir overrides
> caches/basedir
> > > (for repository).
> >
> > Exactly, and I agree this is confusing :-)
> >
> > > Perhaps we can move settings/resolutionCacheDir to
> > > caches/resolutionCacheDir, rename caches/basedir to
> > > caches/repositoryCacheDir, and either remove settings/defaultCache or
> > move
> > > it to caches/defaultCacheDir.
> >
> > It makes sense. For defaultCache, I think we need to keep and rename it,
> > for
> > Ivy 1.x users who where used to it (and it eases the way to define where
> > all
> > Ivy cache data goes, which is the most common use case.
> >
> > Do anybody else see any problem with these changes?
> >

> Obviously, I agree with the changes (and generally moving cache-related
> attributes out of the settings element).
> Nobody else seems to have any comments so far. Do you think we can see
> these
> changes soon?

I think we can agree to move on, it's not that a big change anyway.

> Would you like me to work on it? Or add a comment to IVY-399?

I think we have a little less than a week before we cut the beta2. If you
can do the job (code, reference doc and junit changes) in this timeframe,
it's more than welcome! Otherwise a comment on IVY-399 summing up the
changes would help, and I'll try to find some time to do the change,
probably early next week during my next trip to visit a customer.

Xavier

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 11, 2008 7:18 AM, Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008 4:24 AM, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>
> > > - 3 tags for cache configuration: settings, caches and cache
> >
> > The settings on the settings tag are mainly due to legacy. We could
> indeed
> > deprecate them to move all cache settings to the caches element. cache
> > element should now only the defition of one cache, so I don't see how we
> > could avoid that.
>

> I also said "cache" tags could be ok as they are now. Two tags (caches and
> cache) are acceptable.
>

> > > - inconsistent/confusing attributes on the settings tag: defaultCache
> > and
> > > resolutionCacheDir - different naming styles although they're both
> > > directories; and both of them specify the resolution cache but
> > > defaultCache
> > > also specifies the repository cache?
> >
> > Yes, this is a legacy problem, but I agree it's confusing. Maybe we can
> > rename it to defaultCacheDir, and deprecate defaultCache.
>

> So, if I understand correctly, right now settings/defaultCache is the
> default for both resolution and repository cache;
> settings/resolutionCacheDir overrides it for resolution, caches/basedir
> overrides it for repository, and cache/basedir overrides caches/basedir
> (for
> repository).

Exactly, and I agree this is confusing :-)

> Perhaps we can move settings/resolutionCacheDir to
> caches/resolutionCacheDir, rename caches/basedir to
> caches/repositoryCacheDir, and either remove settings/defaultCache or move
> it to caches/defaultCacheDir.

It makes sense. For defaultCache, I think we need to keep and rename it, for
Ivy 1.x users who where used to it (and it eases the way to define where all
Ivy cache data goes, which is the most common use case.

Do anybody else see any problem with these changes?

> > > - some confusion between "defaultCache" on settings, "default" on
> > caches,
> > > and "default-cache"
> >
> > Again, if we rename defaultCache in defaultCacheDir, I think this would
> be
> > less confusing. Would this be enough in your opinion?
>

> It would definitely help. Probably good enough, if the docs are clear.
>

> > > - ivy and artifact patterns everywhere
> >
> > What's the problem with that? Could you elaborate?
>

> settings/cacheIvyPattern and settings/cacheArtifactPattern vs
> caches/ivyPattern and caches/artifactPattern, they're redundant.

Indeed, and I've actually deprecated settings/cache*, except that I forgot
to update the doc.

> Also these have changed since beta 1 (cache/repositoryIvyPattern and
> cache/repositoryArtifactPattern), and so did the resolution/repository dir
> attributes. Change itself is not bad, we should just make sure the new way
> is really better.

You're right, but with eyeballs of a new user who is not corrupted by
several years of Ivy experience I'm pretty sure we'll find a good way to
make this clear enough!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Xavier

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 10, 2008 8:18 PM, Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2008 4:52 PM, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>
> > We have made good progress on Ivy trunk, and I think it's close to be a
> > good
> > time to release 2.0.0 beta 2. So, do you see anything blocking before
> > cutting this release? Anything you would like to see in? Any pending
> > change
> > that would deserve to wait?
>

> Well, nothing critical, but I've been quite shocked by the changes in the
> cache management:
> - 3 tags for cache configuration: settings, caches and cache

The settings on the settings tag are mainly due to legacy. We could indeed
deprecate them to move all cache settings to the caches element. cache
element should now only the defition of one cache, so I don't see how we
could avoid that. Unless we don't allow changing defaults for all caches at
once, and make per cache settings mandatory.

> - inconsistent/confusing attributes on the settings tag: defaultCache and
> resolutionCacheDir - different naming styles although they're both
> directories; and both of them specify the resolution cache but
> defaultCache
> also specifies the repository cache?

Yes, this is a legacy problem, but I agree it's confusing. Maybe we can
rename it to defaultCacheDir, and deprecate defaultCache.

> - some confusion between "defaultCache" on settings, "default" on caches,
> and "default-cache"

Again, if we rename defaultCache in defaultCacheDir, I think this would be
less confusing. Would this be enough in your opinion?

> - ivy and artifact patterns everywhere

What's the problem with that? Could you elaborate?

Thanks for your feedback,

Xavier

Posted by Adrian Sandor <ad...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 10, 2008 4:52 PM, Xavier Hanin wrote:

> We have made good progress on Ivy trunk, and I think it's close to be a
> good
> time to release 2.0.0 beta 2. So, do you see anything blocking before
> cutting this release? Anything you would like to see in? Any pending
> change
> that would deserve to wait?

Well, nothing critical, but I've been quite shocked by the changes in the
cache management:
- 3 tags for cache configuration: settings, caches and cache
- inconsistent/confusing attributes on the settings tag: defaultCache and
resolutionCacheDir - different naming styles although they're both
directories; and both of them specify the resolution cache but defaultCache
also specifies the repository cache?
- some confusion between "defaultCache" on settings, "default" on caches,
and "default-cache"
- ivy and artifact patterns everywhere

I managed to work it out (using only one cache, thank you very much!), but I