Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Galbreath <Ga...@gao.gov> on 2006/02/22 21:02:35 UTC

Re: Best practices for getting non-tech folks to use subversion?

Haven't used any remote interface for svn except SmartSVN and liked it so much I bought a license!

mark

>>> Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com> 22-Feb-06 15:34:29 PM >>>

Philip Hallstrom wrote:
<snip>

> Find or write a CLI-GUI that wraps up the CLI tools into something
> that's a little easier for someone used to a visual tool to use.  I've
> looked and haven't found a tool like this (searching for "text gui"
> doesn't help :-). Does anyone know of one that exists?  This is nice for
> me because again I don't need to do anything special, and almost nice
> for them as at least it would be simplified a bit.

Sounds like you are looking for TortoiseSVN.

> Option 3 -
>
> Setup a VPN b/n the server and the designer and let them mount their
> working-copy/virtual-server via Samba.  They could then use TortiouseSVN
> to manage commits.  This is a lot more work for me and while initially
> appealing for them, I wonder about how slow it would be for
> updates/commits as it would be going round trip twice so to speak.

This is what I'd do.  There also isn't a need for any kind of VPN mumbo
jumbo either.  Have the server auto checkout /released and /trunk from
the repository, and serve those working copies as two different vhosts.
  That way the developers can commit changes to /trunk, and pull up the
test vhost in their web browser to test, and then merge into released to
  push it live.

Give them TortoiseSVN and show them how to use it, and they can access
the server via https.

I'm no sure what you mean by round trip twice.  Small updates and
commits should be plenty quick.

Re: Best practices for getting non-tech folks to use subversion?

Posted by Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com>.
I'm not sure what this Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 6.5.4 thing is
that your message reports you are using to send email, but either it is
really messed up or you did not reply correctly.  Your message fails to
quote the message you are replying to ( it did not prefix each line with
a '>'), and it is missing the In-reply-to: header, so it looks like it
is not part of the same thread.  Did you just start a new message and
manually copy/paste my message rather than choose to reply to it?  If
you chose to reply then your mail system is broken, if you did not, then
please do that in the future.