Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/11/09 01:01:04 UTC

Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project cocoon-block-jms (in module cocoon) failed

I was going to work on this today but I got sidetracked.

Geoff Howard wrote:
> Can someone give some help figuring out what is wrong with gump for
> the JMS block?  The build snippet below appears to show a failure due
> to classpath (unresolved symbol) but the geronimo jms spec jar is in
> the classpath (also below) and the block actually does build using the
> build script.
>
> gump.xml has a dependency declared: <depend
> project="geronimo-spec-jms"/> but I can't see where that project is
> declared in our gump descriptor.

it's not declared in our own gump descriptor, but it's a gump-wide thing
(checkout the gump CVS module if you want to know more)

> I find it hard to believe the jms
> spec has changed, though I suppose this is possible.  The gump site
> appears to say that the geronimo-spec-jms project is a pseudo project,
> just a binary jar included, making this change even less likely.
>
> Any tips for tracking this down?

I really have no clue either.

Any gumpmeister with a clue?

--
Stefano.

Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project cocoon-block-jms (in module cocoon) failed

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:08:36 +0000, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:33:26 -0500, Stefano Mazzocchi
>

> <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> > > Which version does geronimo-* implement?  Maybe it is a change between
> > > 1.0.2 (the version of JMS we had before Niclas changed it to the
> > > geronimo version) and 1.1 - which seems to be the current version.
> > >
> > > Any reason we use Geronimo snapshots instead of the "official" Sun
> > > jars, BTW?
> >
> > no really. We shipt it with geronimo's and that compiles so I thought
> > that was going to be better, but nope.
> >
> > If we identified there is a API change between 1.0.2 and 1.1, I'd rather
> > have cocoon update to the latest JMS API rather than having to different
> > packages in gump since it seems that cocoon is the only one having that
> > problem anyway.
>
> Not quite - JMeter is also failing to find JMS, but as it's optional,
> no error is generated.
>
> See:
>
> http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-jmeter/jakarta-jmeter/gump_work/build_jakarta-jmeter_jakarta-jmeter.html

> /usr/local/gump/packages/jms1.0.2/lib/jms.jar ...

> jms-message:
>      [echo] Classes for JMS support not found in classpath
>
> I don't understand why the JMS jar is not being found - hopefully the
> latest JMS might solve this...

Duh! This is a JMeter build.xml issue.
Gump builds use a different target in the build file, and set the
properties directly, rather than checking for a class name ...

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Geoff Howard wrote:

>>If we identified there is a API change between 1.0.2 and 1.1, I'd rather
>>have cocoon update to the latest JMS API rather than having to different
>>packages in gump since it seems that cocoon is the only one having that
>>problem anyway.
>

> I'll see if that's the case, and if it solves the problem with Gump
> all the better.

Geoff,

we updated gump jms package to 1.1, I have already updated the gump
descriptor, no need to do anything else, I think that will solve it, but
we'll see later this afternoon.

--
Stefano.

Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project cocoon-block-jms (in module cocoon) failed

Posted by Geoff Howard <ge...@gmail.com>.
<st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> > Which version does geronimo-* implement?  Maybe it is a change between
> > 1.0.2 (the version of JMS we had before Niclas changed it to the
> > geronimo version) and 1.1 - which seems to be the current version.

Don't know, but I'm confused about why it matters in this case.  The
GUMP site appears to say that this dependency is set up as a static
jar, not an ongoing project.  The jar (presumably the same one since
it hasn't been changed locally) is working in our build.

Still, going forward, Stefano's point is good - if we're building on a
prior spec version, we need to fix that.  I'll look into it.

> > Any reason we use Geronimo snapshots instead of the "official" Sun
> > jars, BTW?
>
> no really. We shipt it with geronimo's and that compiles so I thought
> that was going to be better, but nope.

We can't redistribute Sun's as we understand it.  See Stefano's
comment here: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=106616095322380&w=2.
 At the time, he suggested ibiblio, but later in the thread the idea
of re-implementing the spec from published docs came up which led to
Geronimo.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>If we identified there is a API change between 1.0.2 and 1.1, I'd
>>rather have cocoon update to the latest JMS API rather than having
>>to different packages in gump since it seems that cocoon is the only
>>one having that problem anyway.
>

> Looks like Cocoon was using JMS 1.1, but we only provided 1.0.2:
>

>>   [javac] /home/gump/workspaces2/public/workspace/cocoon/src/blocks/jms/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/jms/JMSConnectionManagerImpl.java:217: cannot resolve symbol
>>   [javac] symbol  : method createConnection (java.lang.String,java.lang.String)
>>   [javac] location: interface javax.jms.ConnectionFactory
>>   [javac]                     return factory.createConnection(cc.getUserName(), cc.getPassword());
>>   [javac]                                   ^
>

> Is here
>
> <http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/jms/ConnectionFactory.html#createConnection(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String)>
>
>>   [javac] /home/gump/workspaces2/public/workspace/cocoon/src/blocks/jms/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/jms/JMSConnectionManagerImpl.java:231: cannot resolve symbol
>>   [javac] symbol  : method createConnection ()
>>   [javac] location: interface javax.jms.ConnectionFactory
>>   [javac]                 return factory.createConnection();
>>   [javac]                               ^
>

> Is here
>
> <http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/jms/ConnectionFactory.html#createConnection()>
>
> The J2EE 1.3 version
> <http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/techdocs/api/javax/jms/ConnectionFactory.html>
> looks like a marker interface.
>
> JMS 1.1 is on the way to my disk (and to brutus after that).

awesome! thanks :-)

--
Stefano.

Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project cocoon-block-jms (in module cocoon) failed

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> If we identified there is a API change between 1.0.2 and 1.1, I'd
> rather have cocoon update to the latest JMS API rather than having
> to different packages in gump since it seems that cocoon is the only
> one having that problem anyway.

Looks like Cocoon was using JMS 1.1, but we only provided 1.0.2:

>    [javac] /home/gump/workspaces2/public/workspace/cocoon/src/blocks/jms/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/jms/JMSConnectionManagerImpl.java:217: cannot resolve symbol
>    [javac] symbol  : method createConnection (java.lang.String,java.lang.String)
>    [javac] location: interface javax.jms.ConnectionFactory
>    [javac]                     return factory.createConnection(cc.getUserName(), cc.getPassword());
>    [javac]                                   ^

Is here

<http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/jms/ConnectionFactory.html#createConnection(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String)>

>    [javac] /home/gump/workspaces2/public/workspace/cocoon/src/blocks/jms/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/jms/JMSConnectionManagerImpl.java:231: cannot resolve symbol
>    [javac] symbol  : method createConnection ()
>    [javac] location: interface javax.jms.ConnectionFactory
>    [javac]                 return factory.createConnection();
>    [javac]                               ^

Is here

<http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/jms/ConnectionFactory.html#createConnection()>

The J2EE 1.3 version
<http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/techdocs/api/javax/jms/ConnectionFactory.html>
looks like a marker interface.

JMS 1.1 is on the way to my disk (and to brutus after that).

Stefan

Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project cocoon-block-jms (in module cocoon) failed

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.