Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Wallis, Simon (Toronto - 22 Front)" <Si...@cibc.ca> on 2002/01/28 17:31:56 UTC

newbie to Java and SOAP

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to Java and SOAP, so please be patient with this very basic
request :) I'm trying to get the following to work together:

-Windows 2000
-IIS
-Tomcat 4.0.1
-Apache SOAP 2.2
-Java JDK 1.3.1_02

I've got the JDK installed, and I've got Tomcat 4.0.1 installed and it
appears to be working just fine. My problem is getting the SOAP toolkit to
work with Tomcat. I can't find anywhere instructions for installing the
toolkit with Tomcat 4.0.1, just 3.2.x. It appears there are quite a few
differences between 4.x and 3.2.x -- the diffs might be obvious to everyone
else, but not to a newbie.

Does anyone have full instructions for getting the toolkit working with
Tomcat 4.0.1? I'd appreciate having them if they exist, but here are some
specific questions regarding the SOAP toolkit and Tomcat 4:

1) What should my classpath be?
2) Do I need to modify catalina.bat?
3) What jars go in each directory?
4) The 3.2.x installation instructions require downloading xerces.jar,
mail.jar, activation.jar, etc., but Tomcat 4 seems to come with all of these
in the tomcat\common\lib directory. So do we use the ones that come with
Tomcat or do we still need to download new ones?
5) What is the difference between tomcat\common\lib and tomcat\lib? Should
both be in the classpath?
6) General Java classpath question: say I want hello.jar and seeya.jar,
located in directory c:\myjars\, to be available for use. Do I add
"c:\myjars" to the classpath, or do I have to add both "c:\myjars\hello.jar"
and "c:\myjars\seeya.jar"?

I really appreciate any help given!
Thanks,
Simon.