Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Walsh <WW...@curamsoftware.com> on 2004/07/15 09:51:52 UTC

z/OSS-USS and -Dfile.encoding

Hi all,

I've installed the Tomcat (5.0.27) binary on z/OS-USS 1.4 (an EBCDIC
platform).  tomcat-docs and the sample application are working.  In trying
to get Anthill (1.7.0.162) to run I appear to be having problems with file
encoding.  My normal approach to these problems is to try java with
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8, but when I do that for Tomcat (set JAVA_OPTS and run
startup.sh) it won't come up, but I see nothing in the catalina.out log.
Unsetting JAVA_OPTS again allows Tomcat to come up.

If anyone has specific information on this situation that would be great.
I've been looking for information on the -debug option to startup.sh and
debug="" in server.xml as I'm not seeing any additional information upon
setting these.  If anyone has information or can point me to some on how to
diagnose Tomcat startup that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
www