Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Tassi Pierluigi <PT...@Regione.Emilia-Romagna.it> on 2014/10/21 16:32:16 UTC

Some clarification needed on "migrate" command in Collections API

Ciao to all!
	We're testing Collections API on our SolrCloud test cluster (4.10.1) managed by a standalone Zookeeper server (3.4.6).

We're following Collection API documentation and Yonik Seeley's blog post about Migration feature available since 4.7.x you can read also at: http://heliosearch.org/solr-4-7-features/

We have two collections with the same number of shards and nodes. Our UniqueKey is simply "id" field (which indeed represents an URI). We tried to migrate the first collection to the second using the following API call:
http://10.10.80.97:9474/solr/admin/collections?action=MIGRATE&collection=web4&target.collection=web6&split.key=http
then we committed an update on the second collection. Unfortunately we can't see any data there.

We didn't get any error in the response XML: http://pastebin.com/ggQ6fhfT
We're unsure about the value of the split.key argument. We chose "http" instead of leaving it empty (it's a mandatory field).
Our goal is to migrate an entire collection to another one.

--
Best regards, Pierluigi Tassi

Re: Some clarification needed on "migrate" command in Collections API

Posted by Ramzi Alqrainy <ra...@gmail.com>.
The MIGRATE command is a synchronous operation and therefore keeping a large
read timeout on the invocation is advised. The request may still timeout due
to inherent limitations of the Collection APIs but that doesn’t necessarily
mean that the operation has failed. Users should check logs, cluster state,
source and target collections before invoking the operation again.

This command works only with collections having the compositeId router. The
target collection must not receive any writes during the time the migrate
command is running otherwise some writes may be lost.

Please note that the migrate API does not perform any de-duplication on the
documents so if the target collection contains documents with the same
uniqueKey as the documents being migrated then the target collection will
end up with duplicate documents.