Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/17 19:02:11 UTC

lack of consistent formatting - how do others clean this up?

Folks,

It was brought up to me by a contributor the other day that our lack
of consistent formatting makes reviewing true changes difficult.  I
see it myself quite often.  There are difference between formatting in
Eclipse/Netbeans/manual VI/etc..

I am assuming there are good plugins to just automate this sort of
stuff.  What do you all think as a good way to go about this?

Thanks
Joe

Re: lack of consistent formatting - how do others clean this up?

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ok.  So on branch NIFI-271 have added checkstyle (with the exact rules
accumulo uses).  As you could predict the build does not work at this
time because of checkstyle failures in a ton of places.  I am happy to
go through the entire codebase and make those changes.

But, I'll hold here for two things:

1) Give folks a chance to take a look at those checkstyle rules.
They're on branch NIFI-250 in nifi-parent/pom.xml.  Now is a good time
if you do indeed have a strong opinion to influence the near-term
outcome.  I think the discussion preceding this suggests we're all
open to the fact that formatting is a holy war none of us want.  But
what we wall want is consistency.  So this sets a stake in the ground.
We can iterate from there, albeit slowly, over time.  Please if you
are likely to care about this take a moment to checkout the branch and
using your favorite IDE/formatter of choice make sure things seem ok.
I use netbeans <hold the jokes please> and found these rules to be
perfectly fine without having to tweak much.  Specifically for those
of you who use Eclipse or IntelliJ or vi please give it a look.

2) There is a very major branch NIFI-250 outstanding for which it
would really ruin their party if i made all of these changes now.  So
please advise when that branch can be folded into develop as well as
when it has been.  If anyone else has outstanding branches for which
they would like to see this initiative held up please identify them so
we can minimize the challenge faced later when attempting to merge.

Once we're past 1 & 2 here I'll do the following:
1) Rebase/Merge (whatever I can get away with) NIFI-271 against
whatever the lastest development line has.
2) Build.  Resolve style failures of noted module <repeat until happy>
3) Request a prompt RTC and merge into develop

Finally, I do not know whether this resolves all of the formatting
cases which can cause merges to require more effort than intuitively
necessary.  But this should at least get us closer to consistent.

We'll need to work quickly on that part because the longer it takes
the higher the probably of disruption to folks who might want to do a
contribution.

We're seeing more and more contributions and that will only continue
if we make it easy for people to contribute quality code.  So this is
a really important step.

Thanks!

Joe

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
The contributor guide is a necessary document for sure.

I plan to do the NIFI-271 work soon (hopefully tonight or this
weekend).  It will be annoying for folks no matter when we do it.  So,
my apologies in advance for this necessary evil.

Thanks
Joe

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.
To my knowledge there's nothing else that should be an issue.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
Joe,
I like your proposal.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sean:

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
<soapbox>
"If a pull request doesn't conform to the declared standard, reject it
quickly and move on.  "

I understand the spirit of that statement though I see our job of
building a community requiring a more accommodating culture both in
word and deed.

The Robustness Principle is much more appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

It is frankly an honor for the project that someone would take the
time to contribute a PR.  Our focus really needs to be on how we find
ways to get it accepted.  I agree standards are a must.  And we should
have a high bar.  But we should also see ourselves as having a duty to
help bring people along.  And honestly, it should be fun for people to
contribute.

Joey E advised me that much of the job of being in the PPMC would be
about helping guide PRs across the finish line.  He was so right.  And
if you think about it - that is kind of awesome.
</soapbox>

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.
Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.
> [...]

For what it's worth, this is what I see on most of the Apache projects
that I work on. It is slightly more economical if we introduce a rule
about line maximums.

And speaking of line limits, I think that's one where we don't want to
have automated enforcement. There's a good argument for it (for
vertically split editors) but I'd rather a line go a little long because
of a change than have that change affect the lines around it. Developer
discretion there.

>> Some of the bigger projects use a jenkins precommit bot that checks (among
>> other things) that the checkstyle violations don't go up with a proposed
>> patch. The bot comments on the jira and the committers decide if any
>> violations need to get fixed. Personally, I like this approach better than
>> e.g. trying to fail the build with checkstyle because it allows incremental

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: lack of consistent formatting - how do others clean this up?

Posted by Dan Bress <db...@onyxconsults.com>.
+1 for having a consistent style if that will help produce clear and meaningful diffs
+1 if that style can be implemented in eclipse's code formatter, so I can use contrl-shift-f to format my code according to the standard

+0 on what style we use, and whether we use tabs or spaces
+1 as long as the style allows for more than 80 characters on a line(I vote for 120)

+1 for Jenkins nagging me if i check in code that isn't formatted properly

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.