Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2004/10/25 10:56:31 UTC

[Axis2] - OM API

Hi,

I looked in to the SAAJ api. I think that has some good points for our OM
API.

Either through our Table Model or through the linked list model, we have
achieved the requirements of OM. Basically performance, deferred parsing,
memory foot print etc.,

Then we were discussing about a JDom like api for programmer convenience.

If we make our AXIOM Soap specific we can create another layer on top of the
existing OM API and provide the Axis developer with a good API than the
current one. (We can differ the impl of this new API, but I just want to
bring this up, as we really need to give a good API for the programmers and
this is not that urgent :-) :-))

For example, there are classes for SOAPMessage, SOAPPart, SOAPEnvelope,
SOAPHeader, SOAPBody (These may extend from OMElement, but has specific
functionalities). From the SOAPEnvelope you can get SOAPHeaders or add
headers, remove them etc.,

Following diagram will show the dependency between classes.

SOAPMessage Object with Two AttachmentPart Objects

One can see this as another abstraction. But this will improve the AXIOM API
for SOAP.

The only drawback I see in this is that, AXIOM will not be able to handle
non-SOAP messages.

Comments/ thoughts .... ??

  _____

Eran Chinthaka