Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/07 09:22:11 UTC

[FalconJX]constants

Is there a reason that FlaconJX does not simplify constants to their raw values? If something is declared as a const I can not think of any reason to not just optimize away the reference.

I’m not sure how good GCC is at optimizing this stuff away, but I don’t see why we should have to rely on GCC for that anyway. Unless GCC can somehow get it smaller by creating a reference to the const in one place and then use that in multiple locations?

Re: [FalconJX]constants

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/7/16, 2:22 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a reason that FlaconJX does not simplify constants to their raw
>values? If something is declared as a const I can not think of any reason
>to not just optimize away the reference.
>
>I’m not sure how good GCC is at optimizing this stuff away, but I don’t
>see why we should have to rely on GCC for that anyway. Unless GCC can
>somehow get it smaller by creating a reference to the const in one place
>and then use that in multiple locations?

We are currently relying on GCC for all optimizations.  There are many
things to be done, and constant folding is not high on my list since GCC
will do it.

-Alex