Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Chris Chesney <cc...@go-integral.com> on 2004/01/23 01:53:58 UTC

HTTP Post using XML

I need to write a reporting application that obtains data from multiple
services, transforms it and returns it as HTML.  The services are
servlet based and accept an XML document as input and returns an XML
document as output.  Some of the output from one service call will be
used as input in another service call.

Can anyone tell me what generator(s) I would use to accomplish this, or
do I need to write one myself?  Sorry if this is obvious - I've spent a
couple days searching, but can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Re: HTTP Post using XML

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Chris Chesney wrote:
> I need to write a reporting application that obtains data from
> multiple services, transforms it and returns it as HTML.  The services
> are servlet based and accept an XML document as input and returns an
> XML document as output.  Some of the output from one service call will
> be used as input in another service call.
>
> Can anyone tell me what generator(s) I would use to accomplish this,
> or do I need to write one myself?  Sorry if this is obvious – I’ve
> spent a couple days searching, but can’t find the answer.

When the input to Cocoon is XML or proper XHTML then use
FileGenerator. If the input is HTML then use HTMLGenerator.
Don't use the wrong one or you will get very strange results.

--David

Re: HTTP Post using XML

Posted by Joe Latty <jo...@tias.com.au>.
You could use Flow/Woody or a custom generator with a HTTPClient (
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ ) call to the web services..

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/transformers/cinclude-transformer.html

RE: HTTP Post using XML

Posted by Morley Howell <mo...@cogeco.ca>.
Chris,

I'm assuming from the title of your message that the servlets you're talking
about expect to have data passed to them in an HTTP POST? If so, the only
way I know of to do a POST from Cocoon is with the CInclude transformer.
Check out the 'advanced' section of this page:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/transformers/cinclude-transformer.html

There may be other ways to do a POST from Cocoon, but this is the only one I
know. Anyone else?

Morley