Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/30 00:15:43 UTC

MODDN and replication

Hi guys,

we have a little issue in the way we handle a MODDN operation during
replication.

AFAICT, we use a special control to pass some informations to the
consumer, so that it can proceed with the Move and/or Rename.

I don't think it's necessary. We just have to send a SearchResultEntry
containing the modified entry, with a Modify type, and the consumer will
be able to determinate which kind of MODDN has been used (and if the old
RDN has been remove dor not.

This will work because the consumer always have the previous entry
locally, and will retrieve it using the entryUuid.

We don't need the control.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: MODDN and replication

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we have a little issue in the way we handle a MODDN operation during
> replication.
>
> AFAICT, we use a special control to pass some informations to the consumer,
> so that it can proceed with the Move and/or Rename.
>
> I don't think it's necessary. We just have to send a SearchResultEntry
> containing the modified entry, with a Modify type, and the consumer will be
> able to determinate which kind of MODDN has been used (and if the old RDN
> has been remove dor not.

this indeed is a cool idea
> This will work because the consumer always have the previous entry locally,
> and will retrieve it using the entryUuid.
>
> We don't need the control.

this control was my idea to solve the MODDN operation(for having the
new RDN, deleteOldRdn flag and the new superior DN),
I didn't think of leveraging the entryUUID fo performing a diff back
in the dark age of implementing RFC 4533

--
Kiran Ayyagari

Re: MODDN and replication

Posted by Howard Chu <hy...@symas.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi guys,
>
>     we have a little issue in the way we handle a MODDN operation during
>     replication.
>
>     AFAICT, we use a special control to pass some informations to the
>     consumer, so that it can proceed with the Move and/or Rename.
>
>     I don't think it's necessary. We just have to send a SearchResultEntry
>     containing the modified entry, with a Modify type, and the consumer will
>     be able to determinate which kind of MODDN has been used (and if the old
>     RDN has been remove dor not.

Yes, exactly.

--
   -- Howard Chu