Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "Christopher, Pat" <pa...@hp.com> on 2011/07/01 00:28:11 UTC

RE: loading datafiles in s3

no.  you can specify the location of a partition as you go.  Hive will use the value provided in the partition value clause as the value of the partition column but it doesn't have to be in the file name.  Ex:

  ALTER TABLE foo ADD PARITION (dt='2011-02-01') SET LOCATION 's3n://bucket/key/subkey/';

then under subkey you can have as many keys/files as you want and all of those files will be added as part of that partition.  Now on the table side of things, lets say foo is:

  CREATE TABLE foo (
  allofthedata string
  )
  partitioned by (dt string)

This creates a table with this structure:

  allofthedata   string
  dt                     string

Yes!  dt is a column.  Its kind of a pain in the ass.  But, hive will then set the 'dt' column to the value supplied in the alter table statement for all rows that are imported as part of that partition load.

tl;dr?

If you specifiy the full location of the directory you wish to add, your data will be added correctly.

pat

Posted by Kennon Lee <ke...@brooklynpacket.com>.
Sweet, i think we can work with that. Beats renaming a bunch of directories
to adhere to a weird hive-specific naming convention, at least.

Thanks for the help!