Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> on 2017/02/19 18:37:02 UTC

[VOTE] Exclude @author tags from Apache Guacamole codebase

Hello all,

Reading through the discussions within other ASF communities, I would
like to start a VOTE regarding whether the @author JavaDoc / Doxygen /
JSDoc tag should be excluded from the Guacamole codebase: removed from
existing code, and not accepted in new code.

An old discussion from the www-community list [1] describes the
reasoning for this well:

"Within the httpd and APR communities, we studiously avoid author
tags. People have contributed patches, and we reject them until they
remove their name(s) from the patch. Within the dev community, we
certainly know who "knows best" about particular subjects, but there
is zero "ownership" or territorialism in the code."

Please discuss and vote. This VOTE will be open for at least 72 hours,
and will be called by lazy consensus if no -1's are given within that
time.

Here is my +1.

Thanks,

- Mike

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-community/200306.mbox/%3C20030609234538.GA22335@lyra.org%3E

Re: [VOTE] Exclude @author tags from Apache Guacamole codebase

Posted by ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID.
+1
From a practical standpoint my only concern is long-term supportability of the code - being able to track down the author and ask why something was done, etc; but, as has already been said, git commit logs are probably better for that than assignment of a file to an author, especially given the community nature of the project.
-Nick

    On Monday, February 20, 2017 12:28 AM, Frode Langelo <fr...@apache.org> wrote:

 Agree; +1

Frode

Posted by Frode Langelo <fr...@apache.org>.
Agree; +1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Exclude @author tags from Apache Guacamole codebase

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

In all Apache projects I'm involved, I remove the @author tag as it
doesn't make sense in an Apache project.