Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/20 19:03:48 UTC

solr admin look

What do people feel of the current Solr admin look? Personally I think
its a bit on the rough side. Are people interested in improving it?

Those logo's prove there are some talented designers in the community.
Anyone willing to take a shot at bringing the solr look up to the level
of the solr code? Or does the majority of the community think the
current look is good?

In the spirit of starting a search for an improved look, here is an
admittedly amateurish attempt at doing something a little more modern:

http://myhardshadow.com/img/NewSolrAdminPage.jpg

And a slightly different direction:

http://myhardshadow.com/img/NewSolrAdminPage2.jpg

That's a two minute session with the css - someone with some real talent
willing to give it a go?

- Mark

Re: solr admin look

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Mark Miller wrote:
> Andrew Savory wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2008/7/20 Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> +1 for a new logo. It's a new release, let's have a new logo too!
>>> First step
>>> is to decide which one of these is more Solr-ish.
>>>

>> There was extensive discussion and opinions expressed last time the
>> logo issue came up, but no firm decision made. Can I suggest a quick
>> vote, based on those currently in JIRA, with the one taking a simple
>> majority of votes winning? Otherwise, I suspect it'll never change.
>>
> Might be a good idea to do just do majority instead. I was hoping to do
> a 1-5 rating for each, because that way you can influence with more than
> just your top vote - that may have been hoping there is more interest in
> this than there really is though.
>> Or, someone with commit access just scratch that itch do-ocracy style,
>> and whoever commits the new logo gets to decide? ;-)
>>
> If this is the route to go, unofficially, based on a few people I talked
> to, people seem to think the ones with the thin black lines for 'solr'
> and the gradient suns in the middle look the most professional.

Let me quote what I wrote some time ago during the same discussion on
Mahout logo:

> I recall some of the discussions I had with a graphical designer on
> my team ... His points regarding a logo design (those that I can
> still remember!):
>
> * it should convey one or few concepts, and do it well - i.e. don't
> try to communicate too many messages
>
> * it should be meaningful and acceptable for the target audience, or
> abstract enough that it doesn't matter. I'm not sure how the IBM-type
> suits would react to the beach-ball if it were to appear in the
> documentation of their product ;)
>
> * it should be easy to reduce to black & white (or a fixed number of
> colors) without the loss of meaning. It should be readable when
> printed in reverse.
>
> * elements should be readable at various magnifications, or it should
> be possible to remove some elements (simplify) and still preserve the
> distinguishing features. Think of the logo at a poster size, and at a
> favicon.ico size. There could be two versions of the logo for
> different sizes, where the focus is on different logo element - for
> example, the elephant, or the rubik cube with a stylized "M".
>
> ... etc, etc, he could go on for hours .. ;)

Based on this:

* IMHO the simpler the better, overloaded logos don't look professional
IMHO.

* I would prefer the designs based on simple straight lines[1] e.g.
logo-grid.jpg, with a black&white option that replaces the gradient with
two-three concentric circles of varying width. I attached an SVG
rendering of this idea to the JIRA.

* a simple symbol for "Solr inside", e.g. the stylized sun with spokes,
or the black & white version of it. This could be put in places where it
needs to be used often, or as a pure symbol, and it would use too much
space with text.

[1] Off-topic, but funny: just today I told my wife that I somehow
dislike driving through a particular district of Warsaw, and she said
it's probably because streets there don't follow a grid pattern - and I
had to admit she was right :)

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: solr admin look

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: solr admin look

Posted by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org>.
Hi,

2008/7/20 Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>:

> +1 for a new logo. It's a new release, let's have a new logo too! First step
> is to decide which one of these is more Solr-ish.

There was extensive discussion and opinions expressed last time the
logo issue came up, but no firm decision made. Can I suggest a quick
vote, based on those currently in JIRA, with the one taking a simple
majority of votes winning? Otherwise, I suspect it'll never change.

Or, someone with commit access just scratch that itch do-ocracy style,
and whoever commits the new logo gets to decide? ;-)

Andrew.
--
asavory@apache.org / contact@andrewsavory.com
http://www.andrewsavory.com/

Re: solr admin look

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do people feel of the current Solr admin look? Personally I think its
> a bit on the rough side. Are people interested in improving it?
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-84
>
> Those logo's prove there are some talented designers in the community.
> Anyone willing to take a shot at bringing the solr look up to the level of
> the solr code? Or does the majority of the community think the current look
> is good?

+1 for a new logo. It's a new release, let's have a new logo too! First step
is to decide which one of these is more Solr-ish.

> In the spirit of starting a search for an improved look, here is an
> admittedly amateurish attempt at doing something a little more modern:
>
> http://myhardshadow.com/img/NewSolrAdminPage.jpg

I like this one. The white background is a welcome change.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: solr admin look

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do people feel of the current Solr admin look? Personally I think its a
> bit on the rough side. Are people interested in improving it?

I'm interested in seeing it improved...
It would be great if someone could work toward generating a consensus.

-Yonik