Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2005/03/09 02:03:46 UTC

Why was LoggingRepository.setThreshold(Level) deprecated?

When I was cleaning up the Appender interface reversion, I
intentionally added deprecation warnings and then attacked them.  While
I was at it, I was surprised to discover that
LoggerRepository.setThreshold(Level) had been deprecated.  The
deprecation occurred in the first UGLI commit last June (rev 1.18 of
LoggerRepository.java, 2004-06-07).  I didn't see any discussion
immediately prior in the log4j-dev archives and searching the mailing
list archives and Bugzilla yielded no clues.

LoggerRepository.setThreshold(String) was not deprecated, but it seems
unlikely to want to push people to a less strongly typed alternative.

I have found LoggerRepository.setThreshold(Level) useful, its behavior
is well document and I don't know of an alternative that performs the
same function.  I'd like to see it come back,  unless someone wants to
enlighten me why it should go away.